Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX - Max or Median depending on criteria

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a table visual summarising a particular number of transactions in this format:

STOCK #    DESCRIPTION   #CRITICALITY CODE   #ORDERS  #TIMES LATE   LEAD TIME   RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME

I would like my recommended lead time to be based on two conditions, which obviously the visual doesn't allow me to do so I was hoping DAX could help: if the item has a criticality A or B, then the LEAD TIME should be the MAX (or ideally 90% decile of the population) of all transactions. If the criticality is anything else, then it should be the Median of all transactions.

I have been trying for the whole day with various measures and columns, do you guys have any idea?

Thanks,

OF

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi OzzieFrog,

Based on your description and my understanding, you need to create a calculate column or measure [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME] which is based on conditions like below:

1. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] = “A”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME]  = MAX([LEAD TIME])
  2. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] = “B”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME]  = value in 90% decile point of column [LEAD TIME]
  3. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] <> “A” and [CRITICALITY CODE] <> “B”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME] = Median value of column [LEAD TIME]

I have created a sample data like below:

Original Data.PNG

If my understanding is right, please refer to steps:

1.Click Query Editor -> Open Advanced Editor -> Sort rows by column [LEAD TIME] and Add index column [Rank] by M code Below:

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"LEAD TIME", Order.Ascending}}))

#"MyRank" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "RANK",1,1)

Table1 after the two steps above is like below:

3.PNGAfter sort and rank.PNG

2. Now we can use column [RANK] to achieve value in 90% decile point of column [LEAD TIME] and Median value of column [LEAD TIME], create a measure and use DAX formula below:

RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME =

VAR Point1 = ROUNDUP(MAXX(ALL(Table1), [RANK]) * 0.9, 0)

VAR Point2 = ROUNDUP(MAXX(ALL(Table1), [RANK]) * 0.5, 0)

RETURN

SWITCH(MAX([CRITICALITY]), "A", MAXX(ALL(Table1), [LEAD TIME]), "B", CALCULATE(MAX([LEAD TIME]), ALL(Table1), Table1[RANK] = Point1), CALCULATE(MAX([LEAD TIME]), ALL(Table1), Table1[RANK] = Point2))

4.PNG

You can refer to PBIX here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4jg8e4a8yctb9k/For%20OzzieFrog.pbix?dl=0

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your suggestions.

After a lot of trial an error, I ended-up going with the following variable measure:

LT (BIC ADJST) =
VAR _median = MEDIAN ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[LT RECOMMENDED] )
VAR _90_perc = PERCENTILE.INC ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[LT RECOMMENDED], 0.90 )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ),
        IF (
            VALUES ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ) = "A"
                || VALUES ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ) = "B",
            _90_perc,
            _median
        ),
        BLANK ()
    )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi OzzieFrog,

Based on your description and my understanding, you need to create a calculate column or measure [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME] which is based on conditions like below:

1. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] = “A”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME]  = MAX([LEAD TIME])
  2. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] = “B”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME]  = value in 90% decile point of column [LEAD TIME]
  3. If column [CRITICALITY CODE] <> “A” and [CRITICALITY CODE] <> “B”, then [RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME] = Median value of column [LEAD TIME]

I have created a sample data like below:

Original Data.PNG

If my understanding is right, please refer to steps:

1.Click Query Editor -> Open Advanced Editor -> Sort rows by column [LEAD TIME] and Add index column [Rank] by M code Below:

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"LEAD TIME", Order.Ascending}}))

#"MyRank" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "RANK",1,1)

Table1 after the two steps above is like below:

3.PNGAfter sort and rank.PNG

2. Now we can use column [RANK] to achieve value in 90% decile point of column [LEAD TIME] and Median value of column [LEAD TIME], create a measure and use DAX formula below:

RECOMMENDED LEAD TIME =

VAR Point1 = ROUNDUP(MAXX(ALL(Table1), [RANK]) * 0.9, 0)

VAR Point2 = ROUNDUP(MAXX(ALL(Table1), [RANK]) * 0.5, 0)

RETURN

SWITCH(MAX([CRITICALITY]), "A", MAXX(ALL(Table1), [LEAD TIME]), "B", CALCULATE(MAX([LEAD TIME]), ALL(Table1), Table1[RANK] = Point1), CALCULATE(MAX([LEAD TIME]), ALL(Table1), Table1[RANK] = Point2))

4.PNG

You can refer to PBIX here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4jg8e4a8yctb9k/For%20OzzieFrog.pbix?dl=0

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your suggestions.

After a lot of trial an error, I ended-up going with the following variable measure:

LT (BIC ADJST) =
VAR _median = MEDIAN ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[LT RECOMMENDED] )
VAR _90_perc = PERCENTILE.INC ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[LT RECOMMENDED], 0.90 )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ),
        IF (
            VALUES ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ) = "A"
                || VALUES ( 'Receipts & Overdues'[Business Impact Code] ) = "B",
            _90_perc,
            _median
        ),
        BLANK ()
    )

ricardocamargos
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Anonymous,

You can use variables and if function to handle this situation.

Check it out:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/variables-in-dax/

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Variables are brand new so I'm going to give it a crack 🙂

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.