Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX IF contains text wildcard

I'm trying to use a 'contains' rule in an IF statement but I keep getting an error. The statement needs to be nested within a longer IF statement too! 

In English, the part I'm struggling with should mean:

If FILENAME contains 'bounce', return 'bounce: accepted', otherwise return 'other'

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

I found this interesting article https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/from-sql-to-dax-string-comparison/. Some good examples of use as well as performance.

This works in my small sample:

Column =
IF (
    SEARCH (
        "Bounce",
        Table1[Text],
    ),
    "bounce-accepted",
    "others"
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't work, I'm afraid. It returned all 0 - oddly, if I tried just the search function, then I had the odd column returning 11?!

To double check, Table1[Text] should be the column in which I'm searching for 'bounce'? 

IF(SEARCH("bounce",Table1[Text],1,0) = 1,"bounce-Accepted","Others")

Thank you for your help!!

Yes. Correct.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
acan12

I have an issue where, i have a coulmn below, and i want to get rid of hour and minutes from this column, i had tried many option, but nothing seems to work! can anyone help me on this?

acan12_0-1593598634124.png

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is,kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution if you feel that makes sense. 

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

I found this interesting article https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/from-sql-to-dax-string-comparison/. Some good examples of use as well as performance.

This works in my small sample:

Column =
IF (
    SEARCH (
        "Bounce",
        Table1[Text],
    ),
    "bounce-accepted",
    "others"
)

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try this

Column = IF(SEARCH("bounce",Table1[Text],1,0) = 1,"bounce-Accepted","Others")
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't work, I'm afraid. It returned all 0 - oddly, if I tried just the search function, then I had the odd column returning 11?!

To double check, Table1[Text] should be the column in which I'm searching for 'bounce'? 

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Correct.

This works!!! Thank you!

One more question if it's easy. I meant to put if the text contains "Phase 3" instead of Equals.

Is this easy to add?

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.