Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RickyBurton

DAX Hourly Variance Percentage Formula

Hello,

I am playing about in Power BI and have become stuck I am trying to work out the variance in percentage between to numbers,

This is the formula i have found that works but need to right it as a measure or column which would be best.

To calculate the percentage increase:

First: work out the difference (increase) between the two numbers you are comparing.

Increase = New Number - Original Number

Then:  divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.

% increase = Increase ÷ Original Number × 100.

If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage decrease.

To calculate percentage decrease:

First: work out the difference (decrease) between the two numbers you are comparing.

Decrease = Original Number - New Number

Then: divide the decrease by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.

% Decrease = Decrease ÷ Original Number × 100

If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage increase.

If you wish to calculate the percentage increase or decrease of several numbers then we recommend using the first formula. Positive values indicate a percentage increase whereas negative values indicate percentage decrease.

how can this be done?

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@RickyBurton,

For your issue, you could use a IF function to check which one is larger, New Number or Original Number. The sample expression would like below.
Difference=IF(New Number >Original Number,New Number - Original Number,Original Number - New Number)

If this is not what you want, please provide us some sample data, and elaborate your requirement, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msftThanks for the reply, what I am after is getting the percentage variance.

of Hours input against Hours Against = my varience%

Work Test - Power BI Desktop.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.