Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

DAX Help

I am using a Line Chart in my dashboard.  the ideal behavior would be show the visualization as "Blank" unless the user has selected the a specific Campaign Name in the slicer.

I am unsure how to create the behavior and look for help.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Assuming that your calculation is a measure called "My Measure", then you could do this:

Measure = IF(HASONEFILTER(<columnName>),[My Measure],BLANK())

<columnName> you would replace on the column that you want them to filter/slice on.

Put this Measure in place of where you currently have your "My Measure" in your line chart visualization (Values area most likely)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally you handle this with a measure in the format:

Measure = IF(HASONEFILTER(<columnName>),<calculation>,BLANK())

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler

In this case, the output in the Line Graph is already a calculation I have created.  Does this impact the solution?

Also, can you be a little more explicit in how and where this "new" measure is applied?

Thanks.

Assuming that your calculation is a measure called "My Measure", then you could do this:

Measure = IF(HASONEFILTER(<columnName>),[My Measure],BLANK())

<columnName> you would replace on the column that you want them to filter/slice on.

Put this Measure in place of where you currently have your "My Measure" in your line chart visualization (Values area most likely)

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler

Perfect, thanks.

One last question.  Is there a way to display a message, when the condition hasn't been met (slicer used).

Such as, "Select Campaign Name to see results"?

Thanks again!

create another measure to show label.

Label = IF(HASONEFILTER(Table3[Category]),"", "Select Campaign Name to see results") 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k

Thanks.  And like above, can you tell me how this gets applied relative to @Greg_Deckler direction to include his measure in the Values slot?

Thank you both.

drop multil row card visual on canvas and in fields add this new measure "Label"

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Brillaint!  Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.