Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Help

Hi,

Need some help with DAX. I have data something like below (second screenshot). Total Current Hours and 'Measure3' are the 2 metrics.

Total current hours has data for multiple regions (column3) for specific set of Task ID where as Measure is only associated with one Region for those specific Task IDs. In this case Measure3 is associated with 'Office of the General Counsel'. When I try to show of the data in a single table, Measure 3 is repeated. What is required that is that I should have only record for 'Measure3' for the corresponding Region name (firstscreenhot would be the ideal output). 

The DAX I have is 

Measure3 = CALCULATE([Total Mission Hours],
FILTER(Fact_Mission_Hours,Fact_Mission_Hours[Region Name]=SELECTEDVALUE('Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB]))).

Please suggest.correct.PNG

table data.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Without seeing the model it is tricky to help.  Give this a try.

Measure3 =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Mission Hours],
    KEEPFILTERS (
        FILTER (
            Fact_Mission_Hours,
            Fact_Mission_Hours[Region Name]
                = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB] )
        )
    )
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Below is the model. The thing is that there is no relation between Dim Region and Fact Current Hours. If I create a relationship between the fact current hours table gets filtered for the region from the fact mission hours. Not sure, if a left join can be defined which can help me get the values I want.

The formula you sent me is giving me the same results.

model.PNG

We might be able to get this without the relationship.  Give this a try.

Measure3 = 
VAR TheList = VALUES ( 'Fact Current Hours'[Column 3] )
VAR TheFilter = VALUES ( 'Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Total Mission Hours],
        INTERSECT ( TheList, TheFilter )
    )

Intersect only allows tables, not values so I could not use SELECTEDVALUE but if you have a filter set on 'Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB] that will feed in only the single selection and flow into the INTERSECT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Still does not work. Am I missing something? Please see below.snapshot.PNG

Can you share your .pbix file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is confidential data and I am afraid I won't be able to share the file with you. Any thing else can help you understand the data?

The only other thing I can think to do is add a realationship between the two tables but set it to INACTIVE and use it in your measure.  Something like.

Measure3 =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Mission Hours],
    FILTER (
        Fact_Mission_Hours,
        Fact_Mission_Hours[Region Name]
            = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB] )
    ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Dim_Region (2)'[Region Name DB], 'Fact Current Hours'[Column 3] )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.