Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhoenixBird66
Helper III
Helper III

DAX Help needed - Same Period Last Year

I have a graph whch looks at sales per month and compares it to the same period last year:

Capture.JPG

The DAX i used for that measure was:

Sales_SamePeriodLastYear = CALCULATE(SalesInvoiceLines[Sales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]))

The problem is that when it looks at the same period last year it counts the whole of the month, but obviously if I refresh the data on the 15th of the month, it is only half way through the month so it shows a bit decrease on the same period last year. 

Any idea how I can better show this data without it being misleading (showing a loss because its comparing half a month with a full month last period)? Or perhaps I can change the measure slightly so it looks at the actual date rather than the month?

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @PhoenixBird66 

For your case, just add a conditional in the formula as below:

New Sales_SamePeriodLastYear = CALCULATE(SalesInvoiceLines[Sales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]),
FILTER(ALL('Date'[Date]),DATEADD('Date'[Date],1,YEAR)<=CALCULATE(MAX(SalesInvoiceLines[Date]),ALLSELECTED(SalesInvoiceLines))))

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but sadly I'm still getting the sales for the whole of March 2019, when what I want is the sales from 1st March 2019 up to 24th March 2019 - this date last year. 

I'm stuck and just can't think how to do this.

Here is a picture of the problem.

Last year, March's sales included all dates in March (1st March 2019-31st March 2019), but this year we're not quite at the end of of the month so the column "SalesThis Year" only contains sales data from 1st March 2020 to 23rd March 2020. 

I want the Same Period Last Year column to only show March sales between 1st March 2019 and 23rd March 2019 (instead of the full month)...

Capture.JPG

hi  @PhoenixBird66 

If possible, could you please share your sample pbix file for us have a test? that will be a great help.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You can use datesytd, totalytd

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
This Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD((ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])),"12/31"))

Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
Last YTD complete Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))

Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

Last YTD Sales = 
var _max = maxx(Sales, Sales[sales date])
var _maxly = date(year(_max)-1,month(_max),day(_max))

CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"),Sales[sales date]<=_maxly )

or

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.