Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Help With Nested If

Hello 

I hope a kind soul may be able to help me out.  I am trying to convert the attached Cognos case statement into a DAX statement, in a caclulated column.  I have been trying for a whole using a mix of if(and and if(isblank and so on but simply cannot get my head around it and hence can't get it written to produce the correct result.  

Any DAX heroes suggest a statement that might work pretty please?

Result_Case.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Something like this?

Switch ( true ( )

, [field1] = blank() && [field2] = blank() , "double oops"

, [field1] = blank() , "type-1 oops"

, [field2] = blank(), "type-2 oops"

, "Undefined"

)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or if you want to stay with if please see below. I didn't do exactly the same to yours but used all logical tests you need. Just replace it with your values.

Play with it as it works, just tested it.

fix = if(max(stores[Store name]) = "Aberfeldy", "Aberfeldy store",
if(max(stores[Store name]) = "Abergele", "store",
if(and(max(stores[Store name]) = "Abertillery",max(stores[Store number]) = 173),"warehouse",0)))

daniel
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try using a SWITCH() Switch is a link to explanation, and there are a lot of videos out there as well.

SWITCH([Month],
               1,"January",
               2,"February",
                "Some other month"
               )

Takes a group of nested ifs and turns it into a readable function. The function stops at the first one that is true.  I always think of it as a penny dropped into a pond, and if there is nothing to stop it (nothing true) then you get the value at the bottom.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nathaniel_C wrote:

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try using a SWITCH() Switch is a link to explanation, and there are a lot of videos out there as well.

SWITCH([Month],
               1,"January",
               2,"February",
                "Some other month"
               )

Takes a group of nested ifs and turns it into a readable function. The function stops at the first one that is true.  I always think of it as a penny dropped into a pond, and if there is nothing to stop it (nothing true) then you get the value at the bottom.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Hey Nathaniel

Thanks for your reply - I've been having a play with 'Switch' since you kindly replied but am still struggling.  I think it is the mixture of the AND conditions mixed with me trying to compare where there are potentially blank values that are throwing me.  Also as I am calling different fields in the expression - do I need to nest the switch?  I'm very confused 😞

Something like this?

Switch ( true ( )

, [field1] = blank() && [field2] = blank() , "double oops"

, [field1] = blank() , "type-1 oops"

, [field2] = blank(), "type-2 oops"

, "Undefined"

)

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to have done the trick thank you very much. That pesky double ampersand always catches me out - I was trying to incorporate AND statements but your suggestion seems to have worked. Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Switch statement in DAX. It will solve your problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.