Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX HELP - Instances of Days in Month

Hi,

I need to Indentify the daay and the instance number of the day within the month...preferably in a calculated column.

For example 06/03/2017 is a monday and that would be instance  = 1 13/03/2017 would be Instance =  2

How would I achieve this with dax and calculated column.

Thanks

C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

In your fact table, there are different years, please create a calculated column using the formula, and check if it works fine.

instance number = IF('Calendar$'[Weekday]=1,RANKX(FILTER('Calendar$', 'Calendar$'[Weekday]=1&&'Calendar$'[Month]=EARLIER('Calendar$'[Month])&&'Calendar$'[Year]=EARLIER('Calendar$'[Year])),'Calendar$'[Date],,ASC),BLANK())

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my understanding, you consider the first monday of each month as instance 1, the second monday as instance 2, until there is Monday, right? If it is, you can follow the steps below.

1.I create a sample table named Date, which including date from 2017/3/1 to 2017/4/30.

2.Create calculated column to get month and weekday using the formulas.

Month = MONTH('Date'[Date])
Weekday = WEEKDAY('Date'[Date],2)

3. Create a calculated column to get the instace number, please review the following formula and expected result shown in screenshot.

instance number = IF('Date'[Weekday]=1,RANKX(FILTER('Date','Date'[Weekday]=1&&'Date'[Month]=EARLIER('Date'[Month])),'Date'[Date],,ASC),BLANK())

1.PNG

If this is not what you want, please share more details and sample table for further analysis.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft Angelia,

Thanks for response.  I ran your code but it seems to be outstepping the month and continuing to count up instead of resetting for the next month.

instance number = IF('Calendar$'[Weekday]=1,RANKX(FILTER('Calendar$','Calendar$'[Weekday]=1&&'Calendar$'[Month]=EARLIER('Calendar$'[Month])),'Calendar$'[Date],,ASC),BLANK())

Example

March 6  = 1

March 13 = 2

March 20 = 3

March 27  = 4

April 3 = 1

I will also need to do the same for all weekdays.

I have the same table structure as you

Capture.JPG

Hi @Anonymous,

In your fact table, there are different years, please create a calculated column using the formula, and check if it works fine.

instance number = IF('Calendar$'[Weekday]=1,RANKX(FILTER('Calendar$', 'Calendar$'[Weekday]=1&&'Calendar$'[Month]=EARLIER('Calendar$'[Month])&&'Calendar$'[Year]=EARLIER('Calendar$'[Year])),'Calendar$'[Date],,ASC),BLANK())

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.