Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

me_cookie

DAX GUI

My company is looking for a no code alternative to SQL.  We need a graphical alternative to SQL methods such a SELECT, INNER JOIN, LEFT JOIN, GROUP BY, aggregate functions and case statements.  I've read about DAX, but I'm not aware of a way to do these things entirely through Power BI's graphical user interface.

5 REPLIES 5
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

That is an increadable broad statment and im not sure you have actually asked a question.

DAX is only a very small part of Power bi and is used for writing measures and creating calculated colunms.

what i will say is that in most cases codeing is still needed but Power bi does take away most of the hurt.

for example you can easily select a data source (for example SQL sever) and select tables based on the object model rather than right any sql.

you can then join these tables using the relation ship editor (data model view) in power bi desktop 

you can transofrm the data easily in the advanced editor without the need for code by simply right clicking on colunms and making changes such as transfor to UPPER or replace values.

you can also apply filters in many areas such as in the query editor, or in the visuals you create

you can create groups and many others 

i would say that a good portion of sql query writing can be avoided by using power BI but it will take some time to learn all the bits and peaces. compared to other alternatives the learning curve is pretty low as power bi is quite intuative i find.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sorry if I was vague.   Basically my employer uses data a lot.  The crux of our analytics could be summed up with the following SQL example.

SELECT * FROM SALES WHERE PRODUCT = 'SNEED';

They want a no code version of this.   Is there way to do this without writing code, in Power BI?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can import the data and write that simple SQL code in the Query Editor. After you do that, they will only see that data and can do all the other filtering and data handling from the PBI interface.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi me_cookie,

If you want to filter data without writing where syntax, you could try to use Slicer in powerbi desktop, but this will load all data in desktop  instead of only "SNEED". You could refer to Slicers in Power BI for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

has to have WHERE = 'SNEED'

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.