Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Sowmiya
Helper III
Helper III

DAX Formula

Screenshot.pngHi Community,
Help me with DAX that returns the Largest S.NO's Corresponding Description but Description must be nonblank.
In the Screenshot, DAX must return Animal. S.NO - 6 is Largest but Description is Blank so excluding the blank, S.NO 5 is large and so Animal must be the answer.

Thanks in Advance,
Sowmiya.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sowmiya

This will give you the highest value:

Highest Value = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Description],'Table'[S.NO],CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[S.NO]), 'Table'[Description] <>""))

image.pngI

It also works when you have multiple categories. Image below:

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sowmiya

This will give you the highest value:

Highest Value = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Description],'Table'[S.NO],CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[S.NO]), 'Table'[Description] <>""))

image.pngI

It also works when you have multiple categories. Image below:

image.png

CR
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Sowmiya

In your Query editor, you can use that code (you just need to customize the source or just to start from the lines you need, such as Inserted Merged Columns).

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIsKMhJBdJuRaWZJUqxOtFKRkCec345SC4vMzcxByxoDBLMSC0uBtKeeSn5+UUK7om5qWA5E6CYT35JKUjOLSe/PLUILGwK5PrnpaKaYwbkBmTkg4WVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [S.NO = _t, Name = _t, Description = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"S.NO", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"Description", type text}}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ID", each Text.Combine({[Description], Text.From([S.NO], "fr-FR")}, "_"), type text),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Inserted Merged Column",{{"ID", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 2, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},#"Added Index1",{"Index"},"Added Index1",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"Description"}, {"Added Index1.S.NO"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Added Index1", "LARGEST S.NO", each if [Added Index1.S.NO] = [Description] then "NO" else "YES")
in
    #"Added Conditional Column"

After having sort on the new ID column (concatenation of Description ad S.NO), I added 2 indexes to make a Merge Queries inside the same table (as PowerBi is working by line, not by cell, I cheat with double indexes to display the ClientID value from the next line). Then, I just need to add a calculated column saying that => IF Description from next line is the same as the current Description then display NO else YES.

1.png

Regards,

CR

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.