Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

DAX Formula to retrieve a Field value

Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of your help to formulate a DAX function to retrieve a field value. The image below should be able to describe what I wanted to achieve.

Help on DAX Retrieving Field Value.PNG

EDIT: please assume that the table on the left is name [PLACES], and on the right is [DAILYROAM], I wanted to apply table names in the formula that you will share, thanks for the help. I just realized I can't attach a document please see the tables below.

Where I'm At	From This Day	To This Day
Alaska	1/2/2017	1/6/2017
Brazil	1/7/2017	1/9/2017

Where I'm at on this day	The date is
Alaska	1/2/2017
Alaska	1/3/2017
Alaska	1/4/2017
Alaska	1/5/2017
Alaska	1/6/2017
Brazil	1/7/2017
Brazil	1/8/2017
Brazil	1/9/2017

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In DAX you can do it this way :

DailyRoam = SELECTCOLUMNS(
    FILTER(
                CROSSJOIN('Dates','Places')                ,
                'Places'[From This Day] <= 'Dates'[Date] && 'Places'[To This Day] >= 'Dates'[Date]
                ),
                "Where I'm at on this day",'Places'[Where I'm At],
                "The date is" , Dates[date])

But it does rely on you having a [Dates] table which if missing can be generated like this as a new table

Dates = CALENDARAUTO()

You don't need any relationships.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ElliotP
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

If you have the Dailyroam table in your pbix file then you should be able to simply grab a matrix visual (or a table visual) and drag both "Where I'm at on this day" and the "the date is" columns and they should line up.

I feel we're missing something though...

Sorry for not being so specific, basically here's what I truly want:

Help on DAX Retrieving Field Value 2.PNG

In DAX you can do it this way :

DailyRoam = SELECTCOLUMNS(
    FILTER(
                CROSSJOIN('Dates','Places')                ,
                'Places'[From This Day] <= 'Dates'[Date] && 'Places'[To This Day] >= 'Dates'[Date]
                ),
                "Where I'm at on this day",'Places'[Where I'm At],
                "The date is" , Dates[date])

But it does rely on you having a [Dates] table which if missing can be generated like this as a new table

Dates = CALENDARAUTO()

You don't need any relationships.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

[update] Okay, I would say as a newbie that I'm very much impressed and happy with your solution @Phil_Seamark, it's just perfect!

Hi @v-shex-msft & @Phil_Seamark,

Thank you both for sharing and helping out I will try both of your solutions though I was primarily looking for the DAX version for PowerBI like @Phil_Seamark has shared but I would be happy to see how the PowerQuery would also fair.

Thanks again!

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

I think power query can achieve your requirement, you can refer to below formula to expand the date range.

Original Table: Name, Start date, End date.

1. Add a custom column to generate the list of date range.

List.Dates([StartDate], Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([EndDate])-DateTime.Date([StartDate])), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0))

2. Convert above list to table.

Table.FromList(List.Dates([StartDate], Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([EndDate])-DateTime.Date([StartDate])), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)),Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)

3. Select Name column and the column with store the tables, then expand these columns.

Full query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTLUN9U3MjA0BTMNDSDsWJ1oJSegiJG+GUjADMg0gTFBcs5AAWN9I5hGIBOmMRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, StartDate = _t, EndDate = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"StartDate", type date}, {"EndDate", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Range", each Table.FromList(List.Dates([StartDate], Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([EndDate])-DateTime.Date([StartDate])), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)),Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)),
    #"Expanded Range" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Name","Range"}), "Range", {"Column1"}, {"Range.Column1"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Range",{{"Range.Column1", "Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.