Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Formula to Return First Date Based on Other column

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a column that calculates the original due date for a set of items that have due dates that can be extended over and over again. For example, in this table, I want the "Original Due Date" column to look up the earliest date from the "Due Date" column based on the "Item" name (i.e. for the "Blue" Item, the original due date was 1/5/18, and for the "Red" Item, the original due date was 3/2/19).

image.png

Here is the formula I am trying:

Original Due Date = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Due Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Item]))

The problem is it's throwing the error: "Cannot convert value 'Blue' of type Text to type True/False".

Do any of you DAX geniuses (genii) out there know where I'm going wrong? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

try

Original Due Date =
CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Table'[Due Date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Item] ) )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear rdcooper,

Is this you expected?

Drilldown Groupby-1.PNG

The DAX Expression i have used to get this as follows.

Measure_OrderDate = CALCULATE(MIN(PBI_Data[OrderDate]), ALLEXCEPT(PBI_Data,PBI_Data[Item]))

Regards,

Pradeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use Groupby in PQ to get that figure pretty easily:

Groupby.pngExpand Data.pngFinal Table.png

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use Groupby in PQ to get that figure pretty easily:

Groupby.pngExpand Data.pngFinal Table.png

Using this formula it will only return the first date of my calender table. If I want to see the first sales date of my table this formula will not work. I need calculate the min date of the calender table when sales values in not blank. Can anyone help me on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thank you so much @Zubair_Muhammad, @Anonymous, @Anonymous - can't believe it was that easy! I had actually found the similar solution @Zubair_Muhammad offered in an almost identical post to mine (here), but I didn't think "ALLEXCEPT" would make sense since the name of the function is counterintuitive - I would have thought that would have returned the earliest due date for all rows except the ones with the Item name I was interested in. Weirdly enough, it works though. Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear rdcooper,

Is this you expected?

Drilldown Groupby-1.PNG

The DAX Expression i have used to get this as follows.

Measure_OrderDate = CALCULATE(MIN(PBI_Data[OrderDate]), ALLEXCEPT(PBI_Data,PBI_Data[Item]))

Regards,

Pradeep

And what if I have multiple types of binders (e.g. red, green) defined in an aditioanl column, and now we want to return all binders with first date (there might be 2).  How to write function to retain both Binder green and binder red record:

ITEMCOLOROrderDate 
BinderRed2018-01-10 
BinderGreen2018-01-10 
BinderRed2018-02-10 
BinderRed2018-03-10 
BinderRed2018-04-10 
Binder Red2018-05-10 
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

try

Original Due Date =
CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Table'[Due Date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Item] ) )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

How to take this measure one step further by calculating when the Due Date = Origional Due Date, (Y/N or T/F)?  Where to incert an if statment or a variable?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.