Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DAX Error: The Expression Refers to Multiple Columns. Multiple Columns Cannot Be Converted to a Scal

Hi All,

i am getting the error for the below formula. Kindly can some one explain me what this error referring to?

DAX Error: The Expression Refers to Multiple Columns. Multiple Columns Cannot Be Converted to a Scalar Value.

Measure 2 = CALCULATE(FILTER(SLI,SUM(SLI[TERFYTD_PR])>41666))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RanjanThammaiah ,

Your DAX will return a table with multi columns, it couldn't be a measure. If you want a measure, you need add your expression before filter. If you want a table, you could use CALCULATETABLE() function to create a new table.

Table 2 = 
CALCULATETABLE(FILTER('SLI',SUM('SLI'[TERFYTD_PR])>4))

To avoid misunderstandings, you could elaborate on your expected results and calculation logic.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RanjanThammaiah ,

Your DAX will return a table with multi columns, it couldn't be a measure. If you want a measure, you need add your expression before filter. If you want a table, you could use CALCULATETABLE() function to create a new table.

Table 2 = 
CALCULATETABLE(FILTER('SLI',SUM('SLI'[TERFYTD_PR])>4))

To avoid misunderstandings, you could elaborate on your expected results and calculation logic.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try like

Measure 2 = CALCULATE(countrows(FILTER(SLI,SUM(SLI[TERFYTD_PR])>41666)))

But what exactly you are trying to achieve, measure filter needs a context.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @RanjanThammaiah 

you're missing the first argument of the CALCULATE-function, which would be some sort of an aggregation. (The aggregation of the actual value/column that you want to show in the values-section of your visual)

Like so i.e.:

Measure 2 = CALCULATE( SUM(MyFactTable[Amount] ), FILTER(SLI,SUM(SLI[TERFYTD_PR])>41666) )

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.