Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX 'EXCEPT' FUNCTION NOT WORKINT

Hi there,

I have  table A  called 'CIA_List_Impacted Team'. It has only one column called 'Impacted Team'.

When a slicer is applied to the column 'Impacted Team' in Table A, I want to create a new table B (to show the list of values not selected by the slicer) using the following DAX :

NOT impacted team = EXCEPT(ALL('CIA_List_Impacted Team'),'CIA_List_Impacted Team')

The above formula is not working and Table B is not showing any rows even when the slicer is used. There is no relationship between Table A and Table B.

Any help / advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Iris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Calculated tables (and calculated columns) are computed during report refresh, and are then static, i.e. don't change based on interaction with the report.

(See this article for discussion of creating "table functions" using DETAILROWS in Analysis Services but not Power BI)

You could use the EXCEPT(...) expression within a measure however, to act as a filter for some calculation for example. But you would have to repeat the expression within every measure that depended on it.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Calculated tables (and calculated columns) are computed during report refresh, and are then static, i.e. don't change based on interaction with the report.

(See this article for discussion of creating "table functions" using DETAILROWS in Analysis Services but not Power BI)

You could use the EXCEPT(...) expression within a measure however, to act as a filter for some calculation for example. But you would have to repeat the expression within every measure that depended on it.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Owen,

Is there any way I can have Table B, using the current functionality in Power BI? Thanks.

Hi Iris,

What behaviour are you trying to produce exactly? 

There is no way to have Table B as a physical table update based on a slicer selection or other filter in the report.

However you can have a table created using DAX code within a measure update based on slicers.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Owen,

It's ok  - I've decided not to pursue down this path.  Thanks heaps for your help.

Iris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Owen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you provide us some sample data. 

And what does your slicer has ?

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.