Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Closing and Opening Balances in Total

Hi,

We currently have a requirement to create a table which shows the opening and closing balances of revenue generating employees (FTE) at various time periods (Year, Qtr, Month & Week).  I've managed to get this working at each level but the issue I'm having is at the subtotal of the table. 

For example, if there are four fiscal quarters in the selected year and Q1 opening balance is 100 and Q4 closing balance is 120, then I I need to show Opening = 100 and Closing = 120 in the subtotal bar.  I cannot get this to work.

The logic I am using for the measure is:

Previous FTE:=

VAR currentFYYear = IF(VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])) = 4, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FYearNumber])) -1, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FYearNumber])))

VAR currentFiscalQuarter = IF(VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])) = 4,1, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])-1))

RETURN

CALCULATE (

[FTE],

FILTER (

ALL ( 'Date' ),

VALUE('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber]) = currentFiscalQuarter

&& VALUE('Date'[FYearNumber])

= currentFYYear

)

)

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mani

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Mani,

Can you share a sample file, please? Please mask the sensitive parts first. The root cause could be the context. Maybe you can try the function hasonevalue-function-dax.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for replying.

I cant share the file as it uses a live connection to SSAS.  But a bit more detail may help:

I first create a measure for each time period: Week, Month, Qtr, Year using the logic (changing as appropriate for the time period):

FTE Open (Quarter):=
VAR currentFYYear = IF(VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])) = 1, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FYearNumber])) -1, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FYearNumber])))
VAR currentFiscalQuarter = IF(VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])) = 1,4, VALUE(MIN('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber])-1))
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
       [FTE],
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Date' ),
            VALUE('Date'[FiscalQuarterNumber]) = currentFiscalQuarter
                && VALUE('Date'[FYearNumber])
                = currentFYYear
        )
    )

After this Ive created a final measure which uses a SWITCH statement that checks whether a time period is selected using the HASONEVALUE function, e.g.:

FTE (Opening):=
CALCULATE(
 SWITCH(TRUE()
  ,HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Week]),[FTE Open (Week)] 
  ,HASONEVALUE('Date'[Month Name]),[FTE Open (Month)]
  ,HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Quarter]),[FTE Open (Quarter)]
  ,HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Year]),[FTE Open (Year)]
 , BLANK())
,FILTER('Date',[Billable Amount] > 0))

The issue is that this doesn't equate to TRUE at the total level, so the value is blank.  What I need is for the value in the total bar to show the value from the first period in the selection (e.g. the value from Qtr 1) and the value from the last period in the selection (e.g. Qtr 4).  These then become the opening and closing vlaues in the total.  If I use the calculations on their own then the total shows the correct value, but I need to use a single measure and switch between the different values depending on which level of the datae hierarchy the user is at.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous,

I found a solution based on your formulas. The Switch works in order, which means it iterates the condition from the nearest to the farthest. So we can do it this way.

FTE (Opening) :=
CALCULATE (
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Date'[Fiscal Week] ), [FTE Open (Week)],
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Date'[Month Name] ), [FTE Open (Month)],
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Date'[Fiscal Quarter] ), [FTE Open (Quarter)],
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Date'[Fiscal Year] ), [FTE Open (Year)],
        NOT HASONEVALUE ( 'Date'[Fiscal Year] ), [FTE Open (Quarter)],
        BLANK ()
    ),
    FILTER ( 'Date', [Billable Amount] > 0 )
)

Please give it a try.

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.