Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgirvin
Advocate I
Advocate I

DAX Calculated Column Order of Multiplying Difference Error

Dear Team,

I have a table in the Power Pivot Data Model. I have created two Calculated Columns that are supposed to calculate the Line Item COGS for each sale. The two Formulas are identical, except for the order in which multiplication is done. For some rows in the table, the two formulas yield different answers. If I try the same two formulas in an Excel Sheet with Excel Spreadsheet Formulas every line yields the same answer. Why is it that in a DAX Calculated Column a formula would yield a different number simply by changing the order of how the numbers are multiplied?

Here is Calculated Column Number 1:

LineCOGS01 = ROUND(RELATED(dProducts[StandardCost])*fSales[PercentOfStandardCost]*fSales[Units],2)

Here is Calculated Column Number 2:

LineCOGS02 = ROUND(fSales[Units]*fSales[PercentOfStandardCost]*RELATED(dProducts[StandardCost]),2)

The only difference between the two is for #1 we mutliply Cost*Percent*Units, and for #2 we multiply Units*Percent*Cost

The actual numbers used in the calcualtion are:

LineCOGS01 = 8.25 * 0.953 * 131, rounded = 1029.96
LineCOGS02 = 131 * 0.953 * 8.25, rounded = 1029.95

If I export the table to an Excel Sheet and use Excel Spreadhseet Formulas I do not get this error. Here are the formulas I used:

ExcelLineCOGS03 = =ROUND([@StandardCost]*[@PercentOfStandardCost]*[@Units],2) = 1029.95
ExcelLineCOGS04 = =ROUND([@Units]*[@PercentOfStandardCost]*[@StandardCost],2) = 1029.95

Here is a link to the file that contains the two Calcualted Columns with this "Order of Multiplying Difference Error":  https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/100/CalcualtedColumnOrderOfMultiplyingDifferenceError...

In the Data Model, the table named fSales contains the two Calculated Columns named LineCOGS01 and LineCOGS02.

Any ideas?

Sincerely, Mike Girvin

1 REPLY 1
mgirvin
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have also tried this is Power BI. And the Calculated Columns yield different answers just by switching the order of how the numbers are multiplied:

#1 = Cost * Percentage * Units:

LineCOGS01 = ROUND(RELATED(dProducts[StandardCost])*fSales[PercentOfStandardCost]*fSales[Units],2)

#2 = Units * Percentage * Cost
LineCOGS02 = ROUND(fSales[Units]*fSales[PercentOfStandardCost]*RELATED(dProducts[StandardCost]),2)

Here is Power BI file: https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/100/MultiplyingOrderError.pbix

Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.