Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdevries192
Frequent Visitor

DAX: Calculate Hires and Terminations

Hi All,

Looking to calculate with DAX new hire retention in a given month based on an activity table. Issue is an employee may be hired and terminated many times (see employee 1 in example below). So I can't pivot the table to determine hire and termination dates in a given timeframe.

Calculation is (Ending Month's Continuous Headcount / Starting Month's Headcount)

Example Data below:

EmployeeActivityDate
1Hire1/1/2022
2Hire1/1/2022
1Termination1/5/2022
3Hire1/31/2022
4Hire1/31/2022
3Termination2/2/2022
1Hire2/5/2022
2Termination2/5/2022
1Termination2/6/2022
1Hire2/20/2022

For February, Employees 2, 3, and 4 were active at the start of the month. But only Employee 4 was active at the start and end of the month. So the calculation would be:

1/3 = 33%.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jdevries192 , With help from date table joined to your date of the table

Active Employees = calculate(distinctCOUNT(EmpData[ID]) , filter(EmpData, EmpData[Date] <= max(Date[Date]) && [Activity] = "Hire" ))
- calculate(distinctCOUNT(EmpData[ID]) , filter(EmpData, EmpData[Date] <= max(Date[Date]) && [Activity] = "Termination" ))

@amitchandak 

You are counting all hires and terminations.

I need those who are still active at the start of February (who have been hired but not terminated). And I need those who were active at the start of February and who are still active at the end of February.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.