Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX: Average a column but replace the column being averaged under a certain condition.

I have a measure that calculates an average like so:

CALCULATE ( AVERAGE( 'Budget’[FTE]), ‘Budget’[FTE] <> BLANK() )

The challenge that I have is that in one specific case, when a value in a different table = something I need to use a value other than FTE. Instead I need to use a calculated measure. Effectively, when the value in the other table is a specific value override [FTE] and use a measure instead. So in pseudo-code it needs to look something like this:

CALCULATE( AVERAGE( IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], ‘Budget’[FTE] ), ‘Budget[FTE] <> BLANK() )

I hope this explains my issue, but let me know if you need any clarification.

Thanks so much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Depending on your relationships, you should be able to use RELATED to get the value.

If Data -> Budget is a one:one or many:one relationship, you can use:

AvgWithReplace = AVERAGEX( 'Data', IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], RELATED(‘Budget’[FTE])) )

If it is a many:many or one:many relationship, you need to use some sort of aggregation (like AVERAGE, or MAX) to let DAX know what value it should be using for 'Budget'[FTE]

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You're very close with your pseudocode.  It's all about wrapping things in the right order.

IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], CALCULATE( AVERAGE(‘Budget’[FTE] ), ‘Budget[FTE] <> BLANK() ) )

This checks for Foo, if Foo condition is met, use the other measure, otherwise calculate the average of FTE where there are no blanks. 

After re-reading your main post, I realized that you may have had a different use case. 

If you don't want to use [Measure] instead of an average, but use it in the average where indicated, you can use AVERAGEX.  

AvgWithReplace = AVERAGEX( 'Data', IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], ‘Budget’[FTE]) )

This will iterate over the table 'Data', and evaluate the IF statement for the value to use in the average for each row.  You may still need to wrap this in CALCULATE(..., 'Budget'[FTE]<>BLANK()) syntax if your total is coming out wrong and [Measure] isn't used to replace blanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Cmcmahan. Yes, this response is what I am after, replacing the value to use in the average.

This gets me very close but there's some syntax I can't get quite right.

When I try to implement this:

AvgWithReplace = AVERAGEX( 'Data', IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], ‘Budget’[FTE]) )

It does not like the last bit of 'Budget'[FTE]. It seems to only allow other measures there, I can't pick any columns. Is there some trick to use in this case?

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I see now that this is because the budget value is in a different table. These tables are related so I believe I can create a calculated column lookup to make this work. Out of curiosity is there another/better way?

Depending on your relationships, you should be able to use RELATED to get the value.

If Data -> Budget is a one:one or many:one relationship, you can use:

AvgWithReplace = AVERAGEX( 'Data', IF(‘Data’[Identifier] = ‘Foo’, [Measure], RELATED(‘Budget’[FTE])) )

If it is a many:many or one:many relationship, you need to use some sort of aggregation (like AVERAGE, or MAX) to let DAX know what value it should be using for 'Budget'[FTE]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.