Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

DAX ALLEXCEPT: How to remove all filters but one?

In my simple table, I have 3 columns:

• Date
  • Sales
  • Store

These are the numbers: 

enter image description here

I want to calculate the sales for all the years for each store:

All Except Store = SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]);Table1[Sales])

This is returning the following: 

enter image description here

It's nonsense! It's removing ALL the filters, so to calculate the sales for all the years and KEEP the filters on the store using ALLEXCEPT I can use:

All Except Store2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Sales]); ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]))

This one works.

But why doesn't it work with SUMX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@webportal,

I got response from PG:

AllExcept behaves differently when used as a set filter in Calculate or when used to return a table. In the former case, all filters removed except for the filters on the specified columns.

SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]);Table1[Sales]) means return a table of all rows in Table1. The returned table has all columns in Table1 except the [Store] column. Afterwards, calculate the sum by iterating over the returned table.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@webportal

Also you need pay a good attention on Calculate function.

The CALCULATE function changes the context in which the data is filtered, and evaluates the expression in the new context that you specify. For each column used in a filter argument, any existing filters on that column are removed, and the filter used in the filter argument is applied instead.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@webportal

Can you also check if this formula with SUMX works?

All Except Store = SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]); CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Sales])))

Yep, that one works too. CALCULATE has magical powers!

Here's the link to the pbix.

Thanks

@webportal

You are using the ALLEXCEPT in an unusual manner.

Create a new table to see what the result of ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]) is. I think that will clarify what is going on.

@webportal,

I got response from PG:

AllExcept behaves differently when used as a set filter in Calculate or when used to return a table. In the former case, all filters removed except for the filters on the specified columns.

SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Store]);Table1[Sales]) means return a table of all rows in Table1. The returned table has all columns in Table1 except the [Store] column. Afterwards, calculate the sum by iterating over the returned table.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@webportal,

I will consult this issue internally. And you can use the dax below instead.

Measure 2 = SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Table1);Table1[Store] =MAX(Table1[Store]));Table1[Sales])

Regards,
Lydia

Ok, thanks a lot.
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @webportal

Can you share the pbix?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.