Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paul911
Frequent Visitor

DATESBETWEEN and LOOKUPVALUE combined

I've searched quite extensively and I believe it is down to a syntax error but I need held with the DATESBETWEEN DAX. 

I have a Column return a count (i.e. "1") if the DATESBETWEEN are from a lookupvalue X (the release date) to lookup y (release date + X time). I have having difficulty with the latter part. There are two tables 1) Table 1 and 2) Summary. See below - 

Column After 3 Mo. =
CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[DefectID]),
DATESBETWEEN(Table1[DateReported], LOOKUPVALUE(Summary[Rel. Date], Summary[Program], Table1[ProductFamilyGroup]), [--> [This is the "End Date for the DATESBETWEEN DAX] DATEADD(???)

Do I need to add in the LOOKUPVALUE again? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

no reason to be afraid of variables, in this case they are just there to make your code more readable. You can write this code without the variables, just replace the variables with the expressions in the variables.

When it comes to dates not recognized as dates, despite being formated, I have come across a couple these situations lately. A workaround is to create a new column like this newDate=date(year(oldDate);month(oldDate);day(oldDate)), and replace oldDate with newDate in your DAX-code

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @Paul911 

you could try writing your formula like this:

Column After 3 Mo. =
VAR _startDate =
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Summary[Rel. Date], Summary[Program], Table1[ProductFamilyGroup] )
VAR _numberOfMonths = 3
VAR _endDate =
    DATE ( YEAR ( _startDate ), MONTH ( _startDate ) + _numberOfMonths, DAY ( _startDate ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( Table1[DefectID] ),
        DATESBETWEEN ( Table1[DateReported], _startDate, _endDate )
    )

Since you have not added any sample data in your post, I have not checked if this works.

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

Hi @sturlaws 

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Was hoping to avoid creating VARs but intuitively, that makes sense. 

I did encounter an argument where function 'DATE' has the wrong data type. Both [Rel. Date] and [Date Reported] are formatted as type Date. Any pointers here without assessing the sample data? I'll also check the forums.  

Regards, 

Paul

no reason to be afraid of variables, in this case they are just there to make your code more readable. You can write this code without the variables, just replace the variables with the expressions in the variables.

When it comes to dates not recognized as dates, despite being formated, I have come across a couple these situations lately. A workaround is to create a new column like this newDate=date(year(oldDate);month(oldDate);day(oldDate)), and replace oldDate with newDate in your DAX-code

@sturlaws That works. So does wrapping the overall formula with IFERROR. Is this due to leap year? In any case, thanks for your help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.