Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

myndscaper
Frequent Visitor

DATESBETWEEN VS DATEADD - Multi Year Line Chart

Hi all,

I am trying to create a multi year line chart with calendar months on x-axis and percent on y-axis. I have a date table and fact table in my model. To create each years data, I am using the same measure ([HitRate]) with a slightly different date filter inside of CALCULATE. For example:

When I use DATESBETWEEN, I get the same total for all months....

HitRate2017 = 
CALCULATE(
       [HitRate],
       DATESBETWEEN(
            'Calendar'[Dates],
             DATE(2017,01,01),
             DATE(2017,12,31)
       )
)

If I instead use DATEADD instead, I get a unique value for each month, like I want.

HitRate2017 = 
CALCULATE( 
       [HitRate], 
       DATEADD(
           'Calendar'[Dates],
           YEAR
       )
)

Can someone help me understand why I am getting different results? I suspect it has to do with the difference between these two functions with repsect to filter/row context, but I'm not quite experienced enough with Dax to understand why. Also, there may be a better, more dynamic way to accomplish my goal without either function. I would certainly appreciate feedback on that as well, but at this point I really want to understand why it doesn't work, since I think it will help me understand Dax better.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@myndscaper in following measure you have given the fixed value to calculate Datesbetween, so every date on X axis is returing the same value because datesbetween is not dynamic, whereas other measure, it is dynamic because it is shifting dates back to 2 years. Hope it helps. 

If you pass dynamic date to your datesbetween, you will get the same result as other measure.

HitRate2017 = 
CALCULATE(
       [HitRate],
       DATESBETWEEN(
            'Calendar'[Dates],
             DATE(2017,01,01),
             DATE(2017,12,31)
       )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@myndscaper in following measure you have given the fixed value to calculate Datesbetween, so every date on X axis is returing the same value because datesbetween is not dynamic, whereas other measure, it is dynamic because it is shifting dates back to 2 years. Hope it helps. 

If you pass dynamic date to your datesbetween, you will get the same result as other measure.

HitRate2017 = 
CALCULATE(
       [HitRate],
       DATESBETWEEN(
            'Calendar'[Dates],
             DATE(2017,01,01),
             DATE(2017,12,31)
       )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thank you @parry2k . I think I'm stll a little confused. I thought the date range specified in DATESBETWEEN would act some what like a sql where clause, limiting the range of possible dates, and then when aplied to a pivot table (matrix) or chart, would still filter by the specfic month.  Is there a different syntax I would use for something like this? Could I just filter with something like 'calendar'[dates] = 2017? Would that filter the chart to just 2017 data but still display individual month values?

Thanks for your help!!

Let me ask you this before I answer your question. What are you trying to achieve. Could be totally different solution.

HitRateExample.png

Very fair question!

Immediate need is a line graph displaying multple years data by caledar month, like above. Based on your feedback, I have that completed. Less immediate, I want to understand why the date range specified in DATESBETWEEN results in a grand total of all of the dates values instead of being slicable on Month on a table or graph--just really confused by what Dax is doing under the hood.

Very much appreciate your help, and completely understand if this is a little too broad of a question to address.

@myndscaper there is great post most recently posted by Matt Alington and that will explain  how things works under the hood. Here is the link to that blog

Thanks, @parry2k !! I'm a frequent follower of  @MattAllington's blog, but had not seen this one yet. Thank you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.