Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tgalla010
Regular Visitor

DATEDIFF with a Rankx column

Hi All! I'm not terribly experienced with nesting functions and I'm brain locked on how best to tackle this issue. I need to calculate the datediff for [Pay_Date] between [Rank_Order] in this data example. 

Here is the code I used to create the Rank_Order measure for reference.

Rank_Order =
VAR CurrentCustomer = Max(orders_grouped_mnth_dif[customer_id])
RETURN
RANKX(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(orders_grouped_mnth_dif),orders_grouped_mnth_dif[customer_id] = CurrentCustomer),
CALCULATE(SUM(orders_grouped_mnth_dif[id])),
,ASC,Dense)

My plan is to use this to do further analysis on how quickly customers place the second and third order after placing their first. 

Thank you!

Data ExampleData Example

Ideally, the data output would be something like this:

Row 1 - Days_Diff would equal 24

Row 2 - Days_Diff would equal 111

Row 3 - Days_Diff would equal 0 (being Rank_Order 1)

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I think EARLIER should help you here

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Explanation-of-the-EARLIER-formula/td-p/529469

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/earlier-function-dax

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@tgalla010 

I believe you are looking to create a column with number of days difference.

Try this.

Column =
VAR CURR_CUSTOMER = 'Table'[Customer ID]
VAR CURR_DATE = 'Table'[Pay_date]
VAR PREV_DATE = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[First Order Date]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Rank]=1&&'Table'[Customer ID]=CURR_CUSTOMER))
RETURN DATEDIFF(PREV_DATE,CURR_DATE,DAY)

If it helps, mark it as a solution.
Kudos are good too.

Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to respond! Much appreciated! Using your approach, I implemented your code and PBI is has raised a circular reference error. Details below...might there be an easy fix? Thank you!

Number_of_days =
VAR CURR_CUSTOMER = 'orders_grouped_mnth_dif'[customer_id]
VAR CURR_DATE = 'orders_grouped_mnth_dif'[Pay_date]
VAR PREV_DATE = CALCULATE(MAX('orders_grouped_mnth_dif'[First_Order_Date]),FILTER('orders_grouped_mnth_dif','orders_grouped_mnth_dif'[Rank_Order]=1&&'orders_grouped_mnth_dif'[customer_id]=CURR_CUSTOMER))
RETURN DATEDIFF(PREV_DATE,CURR_DATE,DAY)

Circular Reference ErrorCircular Reference Error

@tgalla010 

Did you create the Rank column just to get the number of days differences or do you need that for some other calculations?

If the rank was created to get the no of days differences, I would delete it and use the below DAX to get the days differences.

Column =
VAR CURR_CUSTOMER = 'Table'[Customer ID]
VAR CURR_DATE = 'Table'[Pay_date]
VAR PREV_DATE1 = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[Pay_date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer ID]=CURR_CUSTOMER))
RETURN DATEDIFF(PREV_DATE1,CURR_DATE,DAY)
Connect on LinkedIn

Thank you @VasTg ! The formula you provided works however it calculates the difference from the latest date all the way back to the first. My goal is to calculate the difference between the sales. Thank you again for the very fast response! It's greatly appreciated!

Expected ResultExpected Result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.