Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Reine
Helper IV
Helper IV

DATEDIFF with IF statement?

Hello 🙂 I have made a column in my report table to calculate the age from the date of birth using DATEDIFF. Upon seeing the data, I realize that I need to add something so that if the age is less than 5 it kicks back "unknown" instead of calculating the age. DOB is a required field when entering someone into our system, so if we didn't get a patients date of birth on initial contact, we put in either that days date or something close. Can I use an IF statement with DATEDIFF? I have tried it a couple of ways but not quite getting it so hoping one of you can help.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

My guess is you are getting converion errors with the IF?  Try something like this:

Age =
VAR AgeCalc =
    DATEDIFF ( [LaddersT.PersonT(PersonID).BirthDate], TODAY (), YEAR )
RETURN
    IF ( AgeCalc < 5, "Unknown", FORMAT ( AgeCalc, "00" ) )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

My guess is you are getting converion errors with the IF?  Try something like this:

Age =
VAR AgeCalc =
    DATEDIFF ( [LaddersT.PersonT(PersonID).BirthDate], TODAY (), YEAR )
RETURN
    IF ( AgeCalc < 5, "Unknown", FORMAT ( AgeCalc, "00" ) )

Hi - now that I have patient ages, I need to be able to pull all patients in a given time period and show how many people there are in each age group - age groups being <18, 18-39, 40-59, 60+.

Can you help me figure that out as well?  Sorry - I wasn't thinking about this yesterday or I would have asked for both at the same time.

Thank you 🙂

Woohoo!  this works perfectly - thank you so much 🙂  I am new to Power BI as well as DAX so it's all a bit foreign to me still.  I'll study this to better understand what you've done.  I really appreciate your help - I spent hours trying to figure it out.  ugh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.