Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

DATEDIFF with Direct Query - Filter out non working days

I want to use the date diff function to show the number of days it takes to pack an order in the warehouse. Warehouse [Shipment date] - Warehouse [Posting date] . 

Im trying to filter out non workign days.  I have created a date table to show dates that are workign days.

Ive looked at lots of methods posted on this forum but I canot seem to make any of them work with my data.

When i try and create a new column in my warehosue table the relationship with the date table does not seen to work. Is this a limitation of usign direct query? 

Tables.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you have a Relationship b/w two tables. Try without it or add ALL in Date. If still not work, share PBIX file.

COUNTROWS(Filter(all(DimDate),AND(AND(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] <= max(WHSE[Posting Date]),DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] >= max(WHSE[Shipment Date])),DimDate[Is Working Day] = 1)))

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AnkitBI
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Are you trying to Calculate Column in warehouse using data in Date Table. Then it's a limitation of Direct Query that you can't refer columns from other tables. Please check Limitations in calculated columns at below.

.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Thanks
Ankit Jain

Do Mark it as solution if the response resolved your problem. Do like the response if it seems good and helpful.

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Is there a way that I can calculate this usign a measure?

Should be possible using Filter and CountRows functions. You can try it out.

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

I dont quite understand how the COUNTROWS function would work?

I have been looking at anoter post that uses the measure below. Could this be modified to filter on my [is workign day] column.

NetWorkDays =
VAR Calendar1 = CALENDAR(MAX('Whse Shipment Header - Birchwood'[Shipment Date]),MAX('Whse Shipment Header - Birchwood'[Posting Date]))
VAR Calendar2 = ADDCOLUMNS(Calendar1,"WeekDay",WEEKDAY([Date],2))
RETURN COUNTX(FILTER(Calendar2,[WeekDay]<6),[Date])

Networkdays.JPG

Hi - Try something like below. I am using Import but shall work with Direct Query.

Working Days = 
COUNTROWS(Filter(DimDate,AND(AND(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] <= max(WHSE[Posting Date]),DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] >= max(WHSE[Shipment Date])),DimDate[Is Working Day] = 1)))

Thanks
Ankit Jain

Do Mark it as solution if the response resolved your problem. Do like the response if it seems good and helpful.

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

Hi

What does this part refer to?

DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey]

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

I cant seem to get this to work. It just brings back 1 for each record.

Working Days.JPG

Do you have a Relationship b/w two tables. Try without it or add ALL in Date. If still not work, share PBIX file.

COUNTROWS(Filter(all(DimDate),AND(AND(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] <= max(WHSE[Posting Date]),DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey] >= max(WHSE[Shipment Date])),DimDate[Is Working Day] = 1)))
Dan70
Frequent Visitor

One last question. I want to create an average per day

How would I get a sum of this measure by the posting date? Again this seems to be tricky as its not in a column.

Dan70
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. The issue was with my date table.

The starting date did not go far enough back in to the past. I only realised this when i sorted my posting date in decendong order and saw that the latest dates were calculating the measure corrrectly.

Working Days.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors