Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcox
Frequent Visitor

DATEDIFF when using Dates in a Column and using the TODAY() Function

So I feel like I've been close to finding a solution for a while, but I've been trying to write a measure that will take todays date from the TODAY() function, and subtract the date from a column already set up in a query in my data set and the end result I want to see is the amount of days in between. What I'm trying to find is essentially TODAY() - [Last Sales Stage Date] = Days between. I can't write it like that though so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck. Thanks!

-Jonathon

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jcox wrote:

So I feel like I've been close to finding a solution for a while, but I've been trying to write a measure that will take todays date from the TODAY() function, and subtract the date from a column already set up in a query in my data set and the end result I want to see is the amount of days in between. What I'm trying to find is essentially TODAY() - [Last Sales Stage Date] = Days between. I can't write it like that though so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck. Thanks!

-Jonathon

@jcox

When trying to refer a column in a measure, you have to aggregate it to get a scalar value. Something like

Days between = DATEDIFF(TODAY(),MAX('table'[Last Sales Stage Date]),DAY)
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You can do it without another calculated column, something like: (assuming you know for sure there are no dates today)

MeasureDaysBetween = SUMX(Table, DATEDIFF(Table[Last Sales Stage Date], TODAY(), DAY))

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jcox You have to create a Calculated COLUMN and your formula would look something like this...

Day Between COLUMN = DATEDIFF ( [Last Sales Stage Date], today(), DAY )

http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-a​nd-measures-in-dax/

@smoupre's solution also works but again NOTE it has to be a COLUMN not a Measure! (you say you are trying to write a Measure)

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This will work:

(TODAY()-[Date].[Date])*1.

This will avoid errors you can get with DATEDIFF depending upon starting date being larger than end date. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.