Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TIGER8855
Helper I
Helper I

DATEDIFF - show 1 instead of 0 if date is the same

I'm using DATEDIFF shown below in a calculated column to compare dates in two different columns to show me the difference in days. For some rows however, the dates are the same and instead of showing a 0 in the calculated column, I need it to show 1. In addition, in some cases there will be no dates in either column. Currently in these instance, no value is returned in the calculated column. I want this to remain this way and not for a 1 to be returned as they are the same.

Date1-Date2 days = DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, try this
1-2 =
Var output = DATEDIFF('Table-test'[Date1], 'Table-test'[Date2], DAY)
Return

IF(ISBLANK('Table-test'[Date1])||ISBLANK('Table-test'[Date2]),blank(),if(output = 0,1,output))

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @TIGER8855 ,

provide sample data and the expected results.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens refer to table below:

Date1            Date2             Date1-Date2 days
28-Jul-199-Dec-20499

28-May-18 
29-Jul-1929-Jul-191
29-Oct-19  
2-Oct-1929-Oct-1927
10-Oct-2110-Oct-211

30-Nov-2124-Jul-22236
PowerUserR
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Okay, sorry for the reoccuring issue. Hard to do without the actual data, I am trying free hand here. Try this: 
Date1-Date2 days =if( DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY) = 0 ,1,if(DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY) = Blank(),Blank(),DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY)))

@PowerUserR no good unfortunately. It's back to adding a 1 when both dates are blank.

ReneMoawad
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello,

Date1-Date2 days =
Var output = DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1], 'Table'[Date2], DAY)
Return
IF(output = 0, 1, output)

@ReneMoawad Blank Date1 & Date2 are returning a value of 1 with this one unfortunatley.

Try the below

Date1-Date2 days =
Var output = DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1], 'Table'[Date2], DAY)
Return
IF(

'Table'[Date1] = BLANK()

&& 'Table'[Date2] && BLANK()

, 0

, IF(output = 0, 1, output)
)

@ReneMoawad Thanks for your on-going help. The Blank Date1 & Date2 are still returning a value of 1 with this one. In a seperate post I have provided a table with sample data and the expected result for the Date1-Date2 days calculated column.

PowerUserR
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,
Try this: 
Date1-Date2 days =if( DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY) = 0,1,DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY))

@PowerUserR I tested and it changes the 0 to 1 for the same dates however it also now adds a 1 when both dates are blank. Is there any way to exclude a value showing when both dates are blank?

Hi, might not be the best code I have written, but try this:
Date1-Date2 days =if( DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY) = 0 && DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY) <> Blank() ,1,DATEDIFF('Table'[Date1],'Table'[Date2],DAY))

@PowerUserR with this code, blank dates now return no values however for instances where the date is the same, it's returning a 0

Hi, try this
1-2 =
Var output = DATEDIFF('Table-test'[Date1], 'Table-test'[Date2], DAY)
Return

IF(ISBLANK('Table-test'[Date1])||ISBLANK('Table-test'[Date2]),blank(),if(output = 0,1,output))

Thanks @PowerUserR ! This one works exactly as I expected. Thanks for your continued help to a solution.

Lesson for me next time to include sample data from the start.

Of course!
I think that will  be helpful as you run into future issues.
Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.