Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nh27
Helper III
Helper III

DATEDIFF not working as expected

Looking to do a fairly simple formulae where it returns the number of days remaining from column "Last Release" and todays date, but I'm getting the error that the start date cannot be greater than the end date, and as such when I go to the first line of the error it's the first date that is > todays date.

Any advice on what I can do differently here? I simply wanted to return the number of days and if the "Last Release" date is > todays date then return a 0 or "Out of Contract" message.

ThanksCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nh27 I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you are having an issue with TI functions. Just subtract them and you will be fine. No need to use DATEDIFF if you are using DAY.  So, just:

([date1] - [date2]) * 1.

Word of warning, I don't like TI functions. This is one of the reasons why.

You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, not shocked...

Also, DATEDIFF technically isn't a TI function. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nh27 I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you are having an issue with TI functions. Just subtract them and you will be fine. No need to use DATEDIFF if you are using DAY.  So, just:

([date1] - [date2]) * 1.

Word of warning, I don't like TI functions. This is one of the reasons why.

You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, not shocked...

Also, DATEDIFF technically isn't a TI function. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you Greg, I woke up this morning and read this and I can't believe I didn't think of just doing a simple subtract. Have just done this and it works perfectly, thank you very much.

I will be having a read of the link you shared as I think I am slowly starting to feel your frustration with the TI functions also 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.