Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Giavo
Helper III
Helper III

DATEDIFF between Rows and GROUP BY

Hello everybody. 2 DAX Questions about DATEDIFF.

1)I need to find the difference in minutes between the rows of "DateTime" column

2)I need to find the difference in minutes between the rows of "DateTime" column GROUPING BY "IWC Number"

Can you please help me with DAX ?

Cattura.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

here is the output i see on my end from your data

m.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Myagi-Do
Helper I
Helper I

This is not helpful at all. Who approved this?

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @Giavo

When you group by IWC number, what dates do you want to compare?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

after having the first formula (datediff between row and row+1), i would like to see if i can sum this Minutes(datediff) for each "IWC Number". thanks

do you mean difference between row and (row -1), not row + 1

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

yes you're right. Row and Row - 1

@Giavo Man Happy

Can you paste the data so that i can use that for calc instead of the image you pasted, or share excel file (using google drive or other means). cheers!

yes sure, thank you for helping

ProgressiveIndexIWC NumberDateTimeStatus
110013/10/17 7:101
210013/10/17 9:043
310013/10/17 9:103
110313/10/17 9:182
210314/10/17 9:215
310314/10/17 9:317
110614/10/17 9:5031
210614/10/17 10:0921
310614/10/17 11:0243

try this,  in query editor, add a index column , then add following measure

Minute Diff = 
var prevRowDate = CALCULATE(MAX(x[DateTime]), Filter(ALLSELECTED(x), x[Index] < MAX( x[Index]))) 
return datediff(prevRowDate, max(x[DateTime]), MINUTE)

hey, I have understood that the x in x[index] is the table name. However every time i run that same formula ti get the message that the the syntax for '[index]' is incorrect. how do i correct it?

Hi parry2k, thank you again for your help. Unfortunately it didn't work today on my project at work because it says that the Start date can not be after the End date

@Giavo seems like your rows contains the data where current row date/time value is less than previous row date/time value? Do you think that is possible, if yes then need to tweak the datediff formula. 

here is the output i see on my end from your data

m.PNG

Kindly help me understand the formula because i keep getting the erro message that the syntax for '[index]' is incorrect. How is the [index] section of the formula supposed to posted ?

Thank you very much, really great job. Would it be possible a new Column instead of a Measure ?

unfortunately not in the same table, we have to create a calculated table.

Hi,

I'll be really interested by how you create this new table from the date column and the measure.

I tried many ways but I'm not satisfied by result.

Thanks

oh ok, it is ok then. My next step would be to SUM this minutes per each IWC Number

summ of minutes = sumx(x, [Minute Diff])

add above measure, drop table visual with iwc number and above measure, you will have it. 

Isn't it the same thing? 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

when you said difference, you mean difference in minute from current row datetime to previous row datetime

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.