Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsmitha
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

DATA for multiple years

Hi,

am trying to import data to PBI using GET DATA - > Web method, issue is web page contains data for multiple years ( 2000 to 2021 ) in different tabs, am able to connect to data for single year ( say 2000 ) but i would like to pull data for the all the years , will it be possible. please guide me

regards,

dsmitha 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dsmitha 

Download this PBIX file with working solution

Here's the Power Query code

let

GetWebPage = (Year) => let

Source = Web.BrowserContents("http://planecrashinfo.com/" & Year & "/" & Year & ".htm"),
        #"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(1)"}, {"Column2", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(2)"}, {"Column3", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(3)"}, {"Column4", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(4)"}}, [RowSelector="TABLE > * > TR"]),
        #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Extracted Table From Html", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
        #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"Location / Operator", type text}, {"Aircraft Type / Registration", type text}, {"Fatalities", type text}})

in #"Changed Type",

Years = {2020 .. 2022},
    WebPages = List.Transform(Years, each GetWebPage(Text.From(_))),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(WebPages, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Date", "Location / Operator", "Aircraft Type / Registration", "Fatalities"}, {"Date", "Location / Operator", "Aircraft Type / Registration", "Fatalities"})

in
    #"Expanded Column1"

To specify which years you want data for, select the Years step, and change the numbers as highlighted in the formula bar.  In this example I am getting data for years {2020 .. 2022}

years.png

Resulting in this table

yaesr2.png

Power Query may ask you to confirm security settings when you first run the query.  Choose ignore if you have no security issues.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dsmitha 

Download this PBIX file with working solution

Here's the Power Query code

let

GetWebPage = (Year) => let

Source = Web.BrowserContents("http://planecrashinfo.com/" & Year & "/" & Year & ".htm"),
        #"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(1)"}, {"Column2", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(2)"}, {"Column3", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(3)"}, {"Column4", "TABLE > * > TR > :nth-child(4)"}}, [RowSelector="TABLE > * > TR"]),
        #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Extracted Table From Html", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
        #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"Location / Operator", type text}, {"Aircraft Type / Registration", type text}, {"Fatalities", type text}})

in #"Changed Type",

Years = {2020 .. 2022},
    WebPages = List.Transform(Years, each GetWebPage(Text.From(_))),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(WebPages, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Date", "Location / Operator", "Aircraft Type / Registration", "Fatalities"}, {"Date", "Location / Operator", "Aircraft Type / Registration", "Fatalities"})

in
    #"Expanded Column1"

To specify which years you want data for, select the Years step, and change the numbers as highlighted in the formula bar.  In this example I am getting data for years {2020 .. 2022}

years.png

Resulting in this table

yaesr2.png

Power Query may ask you to confirm security settings when you first run the query.  Choose ignore if you have no security issues.

Regards

Phil

Hi Philip Treacy,

Thanks a ton !!!!!, i have been struggling for a week with this , appreciate 

regards,

dsmitha

dsmitha
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Philip Treacy,

thank you for your reply, furnished herewith details which will be helpful to solve the issue

this is the details of web page from where am trying to pull data

dsmitha_0-1651146491065.png

for eg: if i select 1921

dsmitha_1-1651146616113.png

am able to load data for a single year, is there any chance i can pull together data from all the years

regards,

dsmitha

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dsmitha 

What's the website?

I'm not sure what you mean by multiple tabs, please provide an example/image or the website URL for the data.

If you are trying to acces data that is generated by JavaScript then you'll probably have trouble as PBI can't properly interact with JS generated tables/pages.

Regards

Phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.