Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jefffff

D365 - How to change the data source

I'm new to Power BI.  I built a report with the desktop app that points to a CRM Online test environment.  I now need to take a copy of that PBIX file and point it to a production CRM environment, but when I go to Data Source Settings, the Change Source button is greyed out and I can't seem to edit the connection URL.

How would I connect my report to a new instance of CRM Online?

thanks,

Jeff

2 REPLIES 2
Jefffff

Update: I can create a new PBIX file with a simple query against Dynamics 365 online, and use the Change Source button to switch between the test and production instances of CRM, but my original report still has the button greyed out.  It would be a lot of work to rebuild the report.

There must be a setting, or maybe it is something about the way the report is built that the option has become unavailable.

Does anyone know why that option would ever be greyed out?

thanks,

Jeff

It might be greyed out if you have some custom M (powerquery) code. 

You should also be able to change the URL pointing to your D365 tenant via Query Editor > click on the query > Advanced Editor.

Best practices for D365 is to create a new blank query and enter your API URL there, and then reference that blank query name in each query.  Then if you need to change the API URL (to change from UAT to Prod) you can do that once and update multiple queries.

Let me know if you need more detail.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.