Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CatPhish
Advocate I
Advocate I

Cyclic Reference Error on Initial Refresh

I am getting the dreaded "A Cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation" when I refresh my Power BI desktop report file. However, I only get the error when I kick off the initial refresh after opening the file.

Each subsequent refresh runs without a problem. If I close the file and reopen it, the initial refresh will throw the error. Also, the table that throws the error is not always the same and there is no additional information provided.

This is a very straight forward file, with no append queries or other processes that create derivative tables. Basically, four tables from our local SQL Server database are imported, no manipulations or changes are made to the data.

I have been searching the interwebs for anything that can help me sort this out and have not found anything about the problem I'm having.

EDIT: I just tried refreshing the file on another PC we use for Power BI and I didn't get the cyclic reference error.  So strange.

If anyone has any thoughts about how to diagnose this, I would be eternally grateful. If there is any additional information I could provide, let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved  the problem  by uninstalling the Microsoft Store version, and using the regular download.  No problems since then.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
shailesht003
Frequent Visitor

The issue is with the DB/schema parameter in the PBI Desktop version of April 2022. If you replace the parameters with the actual value it works.
In case you cant publish without using parameters, consider using previous versions such as March 2022. (It works in PBI March 2022)

You can download the previous version from the below link.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

Until we have the fix available in April 2022 version, you can use the previous version as a workaround.

Cheers. 

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CatPhish

Based on my test, i cannot reproduce the same issue. I would suggest you update the version of desktop and clear cache for the file. If it is not your case, you may submit a support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cherie, thanks for getting back to me. I've tried clearing the cache a number of time, and it did not fix the error. I'm on the Windows Store version of the desktop so I always have the latest version (currently Version: 2.65.5313.621 64-bit (December, 2018). I'll open a support ticket.

Hi @CatPhish

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, welcome to share the solution and mark it as solution. More people will benefit from here. 

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sherie, I just advised Ehren, the tech on my original ticket, that this problem has started occuring again, but only on the PC that is running the February 2019 Update.  The same file, when run on a laptop that is still running the December 2018 file is having no problem.

I've already tried clearing the data cache, but it did not correct the issues.

I solved  the problem  by uninstalling the Microsoft Store version, and using the regular download.  No problems since then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.