Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dianas
Employee
Employee

Cut and paste into text box errors

I have text in an email with formatting that I want to paste into a PBI text box in the desktop designer.  The text contains hyperlinks, bolded text and numbers.  When I paste it I get a series of errors - there are so many that I cannot clear them all before pulling my hair out so I end task on the designer.  The error message is below and I've reported it many times to the BPI team.  When I strip out all numbering then I just get one error when pasting the text, but then I have to spend a bunch of time reformatting, taking out extra spaces and line breaks and putting all the numbering back.  What is the best option to solve this issue?  How is it recommending to add annotations or reporting type text about the reports? 

Error when cutting and pasting into a text boxError when cutting and pasting into a text box

5 REPLIES 5
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@dianas, I can reproduce your issue as well. I will also report it internally and will reply back once I get any updates.

Currently, I'm afraid you have to remove the rich format before paste the text into Power BI Desktop. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you @Vicky_Song!  Appreciate it!  This is super inconvenient and time consuming to have to reproduce formatting on text that is already formatted.  Hope this is fixed soon with all the rich text editors within MS products...

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@paulnevinthomas@dianas, the PG team is working on this issue now. I will post back once I get any updates. Sorry for the inconvenience it brings you. 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dianas The only way you will be able to get hyperlinks and bold text in Textbox is by copying and paste your email first into notepad, then copy that text from notepad into power bi textbox and then apply formatting.

I think it is a bug that throws error when copying formatted text and should be fixed. I will reporr this onto bug forum.

Then you move that the windows cursor to where you want to place then to place the new text and select paste editor tool.you choose paste editior tool then the document text from the clipboard to the current cursor location in the output windows.you selected the text will be relpaced by the text to paste the begin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.