Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gyan
Frequent Visitor

Customizing Slicer "select all" option in power BI

Hi there,

Problem statement:

I have a situation in report designing where I have a couple of slicers in the report and as per the Client, he doesn’t want to see the title or label of the Slicers.
Now if there is only a single value selected in the slicer then obviously it displays that value but in case of "multi-select" or in case of "select All" user don’t see any value.
Now assume there are 5 slicers without a label or title and all saying "All" it’s a mess for end-user.

Expectation:

Now I'm looking for a workaround where I can customize the "Select All" option to say something else like "All categories", or "All countries"

Thank you for looking into it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Gyan ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below to get the customized label and apply this measure on the card visual.

Customized label =
VAR _selcount =
    COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Countries'[Countries] ) )
VAR _allcount =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Countries'[Countries] ),
        ALL ( 'Countries'[Countries] )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( _selcount = _allcount, "All countries", "" )

yingyinr_0-1646810623425.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gyan
Frequent Visitor

Hi @selimovd ,

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what I have tried-

1. I have created a label for slicer using a card (let’s say "All counties"),
  2. I have created one measure which is returning the selected value ( 0 in case single select, 1 in case multi or all)
  3. Now I was trying to use the selected value measure as a filter for card visual so that I could display the value when the selected value returns 1, but somehow this filter is not getting enabled it is not letting me enter 0 or 1 value in case of advanced filtering.

I have already tried this approch to display or hide any visual but not sure why it is not working in this case.

Are you suggesting to go by the same approach  I have tried above or is there any other workaround? 

Hi @Gyan ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below to get the customized label and apply this measure on the card visual.

Customized label =
VAR _selcount =
    COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Countries'[Countries] ) )
VAR _allcount =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Countries'[Countries] ),
        ALL ( 'Countries'[Countries] )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( _selcount = _allcount, "All countries", "" )

yingyinr_0-1646810623425.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yiruan-msft !

This is very helpful!

Thank you for taking time and sharing attached file to make it easy to understand!

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Gyan ,

you could put a label above the slicer that is only visible when "All" ist selected. This label could in this case show "Countries". When there is a selection of a country, then the label would disappear.

Would that be an option?

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi
Follow me: twitter.com/DenSelimovic

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.