Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Giovani
Helper I
Helper I

Customized state region in a shape map

Hi, 

I am trying to display region information on a shape map using diverging colors. But what should be straight forward is getting difficult nasty, I am probably missing some basic step.

I want to customize information for US states displaying some states as individual information and other as regional information. Here is an example of the data.

MonthUS-StateRegionValue
JanuaryGAGA20
JanuaryALRegion 11
JanuaryMSRegion 12
JanuaryLARegion 13
JanuaryARAR30
JanuarySCRegion 275
JanuaryNCRegion 225
FebruaryGAGA10
FebruaryALRegion 130
FebruaryMSRegion 140
FebruaryLARegion 180
FebruaryARAR1
FebruarySCRegion 25
FebruaryNCRegion 24

An example of what I would like to do is for Region 2 where in January I would like to have both US-state SC and NC grouped and colored with the "maximum" diverging color selected, but when filtering February I would like to see it with the "minimum" diverging color.

In both cases, I don`t want to have individual state "value" informed, only the final sum with the Region name.

Any idea of how I could overpass this issue.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Giovani 

You can create column Sum for Region to get total value for each region and month.

Sum for Region = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[Region]=EARLIER(Table1[Region])&&Table1[Month]=EARLIER(Table1[Month])))

2.png 

Then, create shape map visual setting like picture below. Drill down to see the total value for each region and month.

3.jpg 

Here is my test pbix: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/Ea_D-qma2fZFkHg2nO...

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy,

Sounds very interesting, but the region is displayed now on top of Canada and not more on top of original US states. Any idea how to solve that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.