cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iron_dinges
Helper II
Helper II

Customize highlighting for selected row in table visual

On the Table visual, when a row is selected by clicking on it, all other rows in the table become faded.

See below:

selected row.png

Question: is it possible to customize how the selected and unselected rows are formatted?

For example, I would like to have row A above be highlighted in a light blue background when selected, and for rows B and C to remain with default formatting - that is, not faded.

I am not asking about field formatting. I am aware that I can specifically highlight a row using field and/or conditional formatting, but that does not allow me to change the formatting based on what is selected on that same table, as I have described above.

I have floated the idea of having a separate slicer to control selection, but my users prefer the current method.

My use case is as follows: a have a report in which products are analysed one by one. All of the products appear in a Table visual, sorted by some value related to that product. All other visuals on the page are cross-filered by this table visual. So the user experience with using this report is to click on a product in the product table visual (which cross-filters the rest of the page), do their analysis and make decisions, then click on the next product and repeat. A slicer is not suitable for this because a slicer would only show one dimension, and no value columns.

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @iron_dinges  ,

As far as I know this cannot be done.My idea is still implemented through the slicer.

vluwangmsft_0-1626943623395.png

I provide my pbix file and wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi Lucien,

Thank you for the effort, I appreciate it.

However, as I stated in the opening post, I am aware that it can be done using conditional formatting. But due to user requirements, the use of a slicer is not feasible in this instance.

It is important that the visual that does the filtering or slicing also show relevant information that can be sorted, which a slicer does not allow us to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power BI October Update 2021.jpg

Power BI Release

Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!