Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom visuals cross filtering

I am using two custom visuals - drill down donut and column chart, both zoomcharts. Filtering one of the visuals is also applying the filter to the second one, but if I want to further limit the data by applying filter in addition to the second visual, then the filter on the first one is reset. Am I missing something? Drilling filter other visuals is activated as well, but no luck there. Are they some limitation to the visuals and their filtering, which are unknown to me?

Test.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

After my research, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that use multiple visuals (In addition to slicer ) for cross filtering in Power BI for now.

So when you apply filter in addition to the second visual, then the filter on the first one is reset.

For your requirement, you could post your new idea in Power BI ideas and make this feature coming sooner .

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft

thank you for your feedback, I will certainly commit the idea to the Power BI ideas section. However, I am somehow disappointed, because for me this is a basic requirement to any reporting tool and I would expect that a BI tool should be able to handle that out of the box, but maybe this is my naivety speaking.

Best regards,

Filip

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's a tough one. Custom visuals are a mixed bag. Best to contact the developer.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply mate. I was expecting that feedback as this was my first assumption. But actually after some experimentation I was able to reproduce the issue with the standard visuals - donut and line chart. At this point it is important to mention that I am fetching the data from a database view, which should not make any difference, but still one cannot never know.

Can you share your PBIX? Or provide detailed steps on how to recreate the issue?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to do that, but how can I share file here?

If you have validated your email address, you should see an "Attachments" below the Body of a post. If not, most folks share via One Drive, Box, Google Docs, etc.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is rather simple report with a very common use case. So I like to believe that Power BI can handle it correctly and I am actually missing something. Otherwise I will need to question the capabilities of this tool and especially the BI part of it.

I hope that I can gain some insides here, because I really like Power BI, but not having this functionality in place makes it unsuitable for me.

Thank you,

Filip

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.