Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jopezzo
Helper I
Helper I

Custom visuals by Microsoft

Hi,

I would like to know whether the customs visuals can be trusted.

Before downloading the "Infographic Designer" visual, I get this warning:

This visual is published and is licensed to you by a Power BI community member, and is not licensed or supported by Microsoft. Microsoft is under no obligation to review this visual for security, privacy, compatibility or performance issues, and does not provide any license rights or support for it. Contact the publisher for more information about support.

This is quite surprising as the visual mentions "by Microsoft". Is it a visual by Microsoft (and in that case why would it not be licensed by Microsoft) and is it safe to install?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jopezzo "Trusted" entirely depends on your company and it's security policies. From my understanding custom visuals are open sourced code, in order to make it into the custom visual gallery the code is reviewed numerous times by MSFT to ensure it works in the tool correctly. It isn't like someone submits a custom viz without review. 

If you have questions what is in the code, you can always review the code behind the visual by checking on the GitHub link when you click on the custom visual in the gallery.

My opinion is that it's highly unlikely anything malicious would make it's way into one of these, it would be more for the compatibility and performance that can't be garaunteed at this point. Custom visuals aren't included in the new releases, and each custom viz owner has to make any necessary updates to continue to work with the Tool.

The one's owned by MSFT, I would assume should always work as MSFT owns them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@jopezzo "Trusted" entirely depends on your company and it's security policies. From my understanding custom visuals are open sourced code, in order to make it into the custom visual gallery the code is reviewed numerous times by MSFT to ensure it works in the tool correctly. It isn't like someone submits a custom viz without review. 

If you have questions what is in the code, you can always review the code behind the visual by checking on the GitHub link when you click on the custom visual in the gallery.

My opinion is that it's highly unlikely anything malicious would make it's way into one of these, it would be more for the compatibility and performance that can't be garaunteed at this point. Custom visuals aren't included in the new releases, and each custom viz owner has to make any necessary updates to continue to work with the Tool.

The one's owned by MSFT, I would assume should always work as MSFT owns them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.