Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Golani
Regular Visitor

Custom shape map and related data

Hi,

I am trying to display population per block in NY city with color saturation. I have a shape file (topojson) in which each bloc has a unique GEOID value.

I also have an Excel file with 2 columns GEOID and POPULATION (the topojson also bears the population value)

I am not sure about the best to do so, what i currently do is the following:

1) Load the Excel file

2) go to shape map and load the topojson

3) put the Excel GEOID in the 'location' bucket and the Excel POPULATION in the 'color saturation' bucket

For some reasons only 1/3 of the blocks on map are colored and show the population in the tooltip and i dont understand why.

I made sure geoid are both of the same format.

Am i doing something wrong?

thanks !

6 REPLIES 6

How many rows are in your source Excel file and/or how many blocks are being plotted? 

Hi, i have a topojson with 33k street blocks, and the excel file has 33k rows as well

33k is too much for the visual to support. You might see an "i"/info icon in the top left corner that displays the message when you hover: "Too many values. Not showing all data."

Can you tell the limit for form maps, I have a map with 1800 rows, and can not display all of them.

Hi @jonasbakanovas,

>>Can you tell the limit for form maps, I have a map with 1800 rows, and can not display all of them.

It sounds like shape map can't fully analysis your data, please ensure you have correct setting the data categories and haven't use two-letter abbreviations.

For more detailed information about how to use map visual, you can refer to below links:

How to Use Map Visualizations

Tips and Tricks for Power BI Map visualizations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Golani,

It will be help for troubleshooting if you share some detail content of your issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.