Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chickenlicken
Helper I
Helper I

Custom report themes not available as an option

Hi there,

I would like to add custom colours to my Power BI desktop rather than have to change each time.

I was following the instructions on this page but I find that the option for custom report themes is not appearing where it should be (screenshot below)

Why  is this?  Is there another way to change default colours and fonts?

Thanks

snip for power bi.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @chickenlicken 

We could change the default front or add custom front in theme file.

Please check the similar threads below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-we-add-custom-font-ttf-type-in-Power-BI-desktop/td-p/58...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Custom-Report-Theme-JSON-Property-settings-in-Tables-Matrix...

It may not support for some custom fronts, please vote for this idea.

When you modify your custom theme json file, select "Home" ->"Switch theme"->Import theme, import that theme.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chickenlicken 

Update to the lastest version,

Select "Home"->"Switch theme"->"Import theme",

You could create a json file for custom report theme, then select this file when "Import theme" above.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-themes

Capture11.JPG

You could get more theme from "Theme gallery".

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-juanli-msft I don't have the option to switch themes as you show in your screenshot below.   The Custom visuals section doesn't appear at all...  I have the latest version installed.

That is great, thanks all.  I have successfully created JSON file of new colour options and imported it as a theme.

Can I put new font specifications in the same JSON file?

Thanks!

Hi @chickenlicken 

We could change the default front or add custom front in theme file.

Please check the similar threads below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-we-add-custom-font-ttf-type-in-Power-BI-desktop/td-p/58...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Custom-Report-Theme-JSON-Property-settings-in-Tables-Matrix...

It may not support for some custom fronts, please vote for this idea.

When you modify your custom theme json file, select "Home" ->"Switch theme"->Import theme, import that theme.

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report designs is no longer a preview feature, so you can find it under Designs (right side on ribbon)

Hi both,

Thanks for your quick answers.

Unfortunately I can't find the features that either of you refer to.  @Anonymous where is the Designs ?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chickenlicken you have to upload your custom theme on view tab, you have to do it for each power bi file, you can pick existing theme or browse your own custom theme

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k my menu bar doesn't have the same options as yours

snip for power bi2.png

@chickenlicken I'm using November update and turn on updated ribbon feature in preview

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.