Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom map formatting strangely

Hi all,

I'm using a custom map to show England regions as downloaded from the UK ONS website. It is the ' Regions (December 2017) Generalised Clipped Boundaries in England' map.

Mapping issue for community.png

As you can see, many of the points plotted on the imageseem to start over the bottom left. The map otherwise has full functionality eg it responds with tooltips. Changing to other 'projection' options makes it worse!

To use the map, I've download the shapefile from the ONS website, uploaded to mapshaper.org and then exported as a TopoJson file. I've tried out the other UK region options eg super generalised, ultra generalised clipped etc (not quite sure what any of these mean as I'm not a geographer!) but they only lead to PowerBI crashing completely or making a worse mess of the map than the image shown above.

I've had no problem with the ONS's 'generalised' UK Local Authority map when looking at English LAs, so I'm really not sure what's gone on with this regional one.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dropbox link    Hi, I loaded the file into mapshaper and noticed that the proj4 data returned unknown, so  exported it with proj wgs84 -o

The link is to the topojson file.  I've given it a brief test in powerbi and it seems to work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

You may try to this way that is been done before. Hope this can help you

Reference:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-using-custom-shape-map/m-p/55795/highlight/true#M22670

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thank you for this. I downloaded the software and went through all the layers but I'm still getting the lines.

Could someone else please have a go? I followed those instructions exactly Woman Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bumping again in case anyone can have a go? I followed the instructions to edit the cooridnates using QGIS but I'm still getting the same result. Thank you.

dropbox link    Hi, I loaded the file into mapshaper and noticed that the proj4 data returned unknown, so  exported it with proj wgs84 -o

The link is to the topojson file.  I've given it a brief test in powerbi and it seems to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is wonderful and works perfectly! Thank you so much @HotChilli Heart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.