Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hawkeye
Frequent Visitor

Custom grouping of items

Hi all, 

This is a bit different to the standard grouping that Power Bi offers as standard (selecting data and then right clicking) unless I am missing a trick.

I have a large array of labels in the Axis, however, some items are related in such a way that I'd like them to count towards a single total as opposed to being listed seperately. 

The best way I can think of describing it as that they're sub-projects of a main project; but due to the way the data is produced by the report (which I cannot alter at this stage) they are all listed as individual projects - I'd like to group them all and then have them stored under a single project heading on the Axis.

Does that make sense? Happy to demonstrate further if needed

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Hawkeye,

Could you please share sample data of your table and post expected result here? We will appreciate it if you can also post screenshot about your scenario.

Besides, you can check if the Power BI grouping feature  helps in your scenario.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Hawkeye,

Could you please share sample data of your table and post expected result here? We will appreciate it if you can also post screenshot about your scenario.

Besides, you can check if the Power BI grouping feature  helps in your scenario.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry! I had read that page on Grouping tried it and then dismissed it as not working. 

What I needed to do was group the items on the table (Select > Right Click), move the new field out of legend and into Axis, and the Edit the Groups and untick the "Include Other Group" box.

Now I just have to work on tidying up the names! 

Thanks! 

@Hawkeye,

Could you please share sample data of your column and post expected result?

Regards,

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

off the cuff - it sounds like you need to add a calculated column to the underlying data set

possibly a measure but right now I think it is a fundamental group definition column.....

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.