Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

stfox
Helper I
Helper I

Custom filter a text column

Hi Folks

I have created a frequency distribution (see below). The bins are text columns.  Is there are way to custom sort the bins, so that they are in a logical order (0 as first bin, 1-10 next, 11-20 and so on). As a hack I have added a text prefix (a, b , c to allow sorting), but that is a rubbish solution.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Cheers

Steve

Frequency Distribution.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@stfox Probably easieast/fastest thing will be to change your formula for the custom bins by adding another 0

001-010,

011-020,

etc...

Other than that you would need to create another Index Column(number) and then sort Day Elapsed (Binned) by that column.

Like we do with Month names (so they sort 1-12) and not A-Z

Sort Month Names.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@stfox Probably easieast/fastest thing will be to change your formula for the custom bins by adding another 0

001-010,

011-020,

etc...

Other than that you would need to create another Index Column(number) and then sort Day Elapsed (Binned) by that column.

Like we do with Month names (so they sort 1-12) and not A-Z

Sort Month Names.png

Thanks! Ok - there was also  subtle step (to avoid the greyed out sort button)  that I only figured out when I watched this  video demo of the same technique. 

Cheers

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.