Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andsil
Regular Visitor

Custom date periods together with SamePeriodLastYear

Need help!

I'm trying to create a report showing different facts for current year with some last year comparisons (in this example SamePeriodLastYear is used or simplification). The aim is to let the end user through a slicer (list) choose between different cusomized date periods, such as for example "Last week, Week to Date, Last 3 days" etc (about 20 different pre-defined periods). So the aim is to not need to use the Relative view in the standard slicer, as it does not provide all needed periods, and when using that method the user needs to manually enter different combinations which is not optimal.

The big challenge for me is that the data for last year is not showing when choosing a period from a period dimension table. It only works when I enter periods through a slicer containing dates from the date dimension table (using visualization "Slicer" and setting Relative).

In my simplified example pbix the relationships looks as follows:

Relationships.JPG

To get the filtering of custom periods to filter the dates, the DIM-Periods table needs to be set to bidirectional in the cross filter direction in its relationship to the DIM-Dates. Otherwise filtering periods will have no impact on dates and facts.

When filtering the date dimension the "manual" way using dates from table DIM-Dates, it works ok:

DIM Date.JPG

But when using the Period filter with data from table DIM-Periods the LY gets blank:

DIM Period.JPG

I have tried to setup period dimension tables both through M and DAX, both learned from this post: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/05/30/creating-current-day-week-month-and-year-reports-in-power-bi... But same challenge both ways as the outcome to table DIM-Periods gets the same.

In this example I'm using the DAX version, which says:

DIM-Periods (DAX) =
VAR DateTable = CALENDAR ( Date ( 2018;1;1) ; Date( 2019;12;31) )
VAR Today = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(DateTable;DATEDIFF(TODAY();[Date];DAY) = 0);"Period";"Today";"Sort";1)
VAR Yesterday = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(DateTable;DATEDIFF(TODAY();[Date];DAY) = -1);"Period";"Yesterday";"Sort";2)
VAR LastWeekday = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(DateTable;DATEDIFF(IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY();2)=1;TODAY()-3;TODAY()-1);[Date];DAY) = 0);"Period";"LastWeekday";"Sort";3)
VAR ThisWeek = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(DateTable;DATEDIFF(TODAY();[Date]-1;WEEK) = 0);"Period";"ThisWeek";"Sort";4)
VAR LastWeek = ADDCOLUMNS(FILTER(DateTable;DATEDIFF(TODAY();[Date]-1;WEEK) = -1);"Period";"LastWeek";"Sort";5)
Return
UNION(Today;Yesterday;LastWeekday;ThisWeek;LastWeek)

Does anyone have a solution for using cusomized periods with bidirectional filtering together with last year comparisons such as SamePeriodLastYear? Or any other solution to get to the same goal?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@andsil 

You may apply virtual relationship in DAX measure.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Use-a-date-slicer-to-filter-on-a-period-instead-of-a-single...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@andsil 

You may apply virtual relationship in DAX measure.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Use-a-date-slicer-to-filter-on-a-period-instead-of-a-single...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.