Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Krollo123
Frequent Visitor

Custom connector issue

Hello there,

We are having some odd issues with a custom connector not showing up in the "Get Data" menu.

Background:

We have many people who use this custom connector without any problem at all. This is done by placing the .MEZ file in the path Documents/Power BI Desktop/Custom Connectors and it shows up without a problem. This is also not a problem when the Documents folder is located in a Onedrive folder, like C:\Users\XXX\OneDrive - Name\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors\connector.mez as we have several guys where this is not an inssue.

We do however have one guy with issues and in this case we are dealing with a folder in One Drive. We have tried pretty much everything listed below without any luck:

1. Made sure that the folder names match exactly

2. Following everything in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connector-extensibility

2. Made a Documents folder on his local drive and added the subfolders

3. Tried toggling on the Onedrive setting for the folder to "Always keep on this device".

4. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling PowerBI Desktop through the Microsoft Store

5. Tried repairing/resetting PowerBI Desktop

I'm 100% sure that it has nothing to do with the custom connector itself, as the exact same file is working for others, so it must be something with PowerBI not being able to locate the right folder.

I cannot find any solutions online to this problem, so I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had this problem along with a fix for it.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
steffels
Frequent Visitor

Hello! I am also experiencing this issue. I was able to use the connector just fine within my normal Documents folder. Then I upgraded to a new PC and part of that included switching my Documents folder to a OneDrive folder. I've tried putting the connector in several different places with no results. I do have the option to use connectors selected in Power BI, I have the latest version, I've made sure things are named correctly.

Is there a way to manually point Power BI to the connectors folder?

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krollo123 ,

Whether your problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? Or you can share your solution and mark it as Answered. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krollo123 ,

First make sure that that guy has placed the .mez file in the [Documents]\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors folder. Please note the case of the folder and file name. If that folder does not exist, create it. Please verify that that guy has read access to the .mez file in that directory. Also, what version of Power BI Desktop is the user using? 32-bit or 64-bit?  If it's not a latest version of Power BI Desktop, try upgrading and see if that guy can successfully connect to that custom connector.
Please check the method in the case below, I hope it will help you to solve the problem.

Using the custom data connectors for Microsoft Power BI

Unable to Add Custom Connector - Option to Add Custom Connectors NOT Shown #3

Not showing up as a custom connector

yingyinr_0-1636361422941.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.