Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saw_Dusted

Custom columns changed after update

Hi,

I have some custom columns that I use to pull the year, month, week number, and day of year from an existing date column.  The past two updates have changed these so that I am no longer able to edit the step.  When I created the column I was able to access the step at any time, change the name, edit the formula, etc.  The first update after that caused a pop up window to appear stating that an error occured and a preview could not be generated.  This only occured on columns where I was pulling the date informaiton.  The update that just occured changed it so that I can open that step, but now I get an "invoke custom function" and it appears blank, but my date information is still being generated correctly.  Do i need to put my formula back in so that it continues to work properly? 

Thanks,

Jim

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Saw_Dusted

I suggest you install the latest version of Power BI Desktop to see if the custom columns (Power Query) work. If it still doesn't work, please try to create calculated columns with DAX. Or you can use CALENDAR() function to generate a date table and build the relationship to your existing table. See: HOW TO CREATE A DATE TABLE IN POWER BI IN 2 SIMPLE STEPS

Regards,

radpir
Resolver II
Resolver II

hi,

i just downloaded the latest version of Power BI Desktop (November 3rd) and the change custom column dialog seems to work fine now.

give it a try and see if it works for you too.

regards,

radpir

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.