Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom column using parameter creates Function column instead of Table column

I'm trying to access all of our project site data from Project Online. I've followed this article: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/want-to-query-cross-project-site-sharepoint-lists-in-proje... but ran into the Formula.Firewall access error when I tried to add the custom column that would insert the Issues table into the Projects table. I found and followed the instructions in this article: https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/

I've tried a number of things, I've created 'data stages' for both tables but still see this error. Where I've only created a 'data stage' for the Issues table (which has been converted to a parameter), it's successful but displays as a Function column (rather than a table column) in the Projects table - so I can't work out how to expand the data from the Issues table. Please help.Capture.PNG

Summary of my current problem: the parameter uses a column of distinct values (URLs) to retrieve data from various OData feed tables. Based on the article I followed above to create this, I should see a Table column created which then allows me to expand and use the data from all of these sites. But instead I'm getting a Function column, I haven't worked with Function columns before and am unsure how I can expand this data successfully.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi olivia1234,

This issue is something related to power bi data privacy settings, when you call other data source in other queries, this issue may happens, you can refer to this blog for more details. Reference: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/06/26/data-privacy-settings-in-power-bipower-query-part-3-the-form....

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft

Is there any further information I can provide to get help on this issue?

Thanks

Olivia

Hi olivia1234,

" the problem I have now is the parameter I have used is showing as a Function column instead of showing as an expandable Table column (so I can access the data I need)."

<--- Could you share more details about this issue? Sharing a sample pbix will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft

I've created a sample file but can't share it with you on here it seems, is a location or email I can use to get it to you?

Thanks

Olivia

Hi olivia1234,

You can upload your sample file to cloud storage such as onedrive.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft

I have fixed the formula.firewall issue, the problem I have now is the parameter I have used is showing as a Function column instead of showing as an expandable Table column (so I can access the data I need). How can I fix this?

Thanks

Olivia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.