Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Custom column - "best of these choices"

Hi all,

I have a table (see below) with the Absolute Percent Error of three different models. I'd like to create a custom column with the "best" (lowest APE) of those three.

In Excel, I have =MIN(Table[@[Model 1 APE]:[Model 3 APE]])

What's the PQ equivalent? I'm unsure how to specify a range of columns.

1.PNG

As usual, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So really, we should not use a calculated column in DAX. It will result in the column being recaulclated every time and slow performance.

You could write a measure, which would not store a value for every row. As you asked for a column, instead, we should do this in the query editor. This will mean it is only calculated on a data refresh, and stored in the model.

In the query editor, go to the query, and select "Add Custom Column".

The code you can use is:

each if [Model 1 APE] = [Model 2 APE]then "N/A"

else if [Model 1 APE]< [Model 2 APE] then "Model 1 APE"
else if [Model 2 APE]< [Model 1 APE] then "Model 2 APE"
else "N/A"

Here, the second else if statement is a bit redundant, but I left it in so that you can add more logic if you wanted, to compare more models. You can add as many "else if" statements to use any logic you wish.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So really, we should not use a calculated column in DAX. It will result in the column being recaulclated every time and slow performance.

You could write a measure, which would not store a value for every row. As you asked for a column, instead, we should do this in the query editor. This will mean it is only calculated on a data refresh, and stored in the model.

In the query editor, go to the query, and select "Add Custom Column".

The code you can use is:

each if [Model 1 APE] = [Model 2 APE]then "N/A"

else if [Model 1 APE]< [Model 2 APE] then "Model 1 APE"
else if [Model 2 APE]< [Model 1 APE] then "Model 2 APE"
else "N/A"

Here, the second else if statement is a bit redundant, but I left it in so that you can add more logic if you wanted, to compare more models. You can add as many "else if" statements to use any logic you wish.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Wow. Somehow, after almost three years of using Power BI, I entirely forgot about the Conditional Column button. Thanks for the support!

SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You can try:

New Column = 
_min_amnt = min([Model 1 APE],min([Model 2 APE],[Model 3 APE])

RETURN 

SWITCH( _min_amnt, 
  [Model 1 APE], "Model 1 APE",
  [Model 2 APE], "Model 2 APE",
  [Model 3 APE], "Model 3 APE",
  "None"
)

Although, this will not work in case of ties, and pick the first. What would be the desired solution if all 0, for example?

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

@SteveCampbell,

How about with two columns (Model 1 and 2)? In the case of a tie/all zero, display "N/A."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.