cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Custom column Index or Ranking by other column

Oh, I see: You need to fold in a Table.Sort-operation that will be executed before the Index is added. Sth like this:

Partition = Table.Group(Source, {"SerialNum"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{{"Date_Updated", Order.Ascending}}), "Index",1,1), type table}}),

Does that work for you? 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Imke.

Perfect! 

Thank you!

Runar Wigestrand

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

The solution is really nice! I think this is pretty close to what I have been looking for, but what I need is the Index column ONLY increase when the Date column changes, please see example below. Is there anyway to do this? Thank you!

Group       Date            Index
A18-Apr1
A18-Apr1
A23-Apr2
A1-May3
B21-Apr1
B21-Apr1
B30-Apr2
B30-Apr2

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Yes, this looks very similar, but we need to create an additional lookup/merge-step here:

Partition = Table.Group(Source, {"Group", "Date"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}), "Index",1,1), type table}}),

Lookup = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Group", "Date"},Partition,{"Group", "Date"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter)

You can then expand the "Index" column from the newly created column holding the merged content.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi ImkeF,

Thank you for your reply. But I didn't get it working...So I was trying the same sample data as below, and getting results as the image shows. Can you please help to check what could I missed? Thanks.

(Note: Column1 =Group column, Column2  = Date column)

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\dongl\Desktop\IndexTest.xlsx"), null, true),
Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
Partition = Table.Group(Sheet1_Sheet, {"Column1", "Column2"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{{"Column2", Order.Ascending}}), "Index",1,1), type table}}),Lookup = Table.NestedJoin(Sheet1_Sheet,{"Column1", "Column2"},Partition,{"Column1", "Column2"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Lookup, "NewColumn", {"Partition"}, {"NewColumn.Partition"}),
#"Expanded NewColumn.Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Expanded NewColumn", "NewColumn.Partition", {"Index"}, {"NewColumn.Partition.Index"})
in
#"Expanded NewColumn.Partition"

pi.png

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Sorry, this couldn't work.

Here is the new code (tested 😉 😞

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTK00DMw0TMyMDRXitXBKWRkjCFkYKhnYIoQcgKpMkRRhUPI2ACvUCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Group = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}}),
    RemoveDups = Table.Distinct(#"Changed Type", {"Group", "Date"}),
    Partition = Table.Group(RemoveDups, {"Group"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}), "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    LookupTable = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Date", "Index"}, {"Date", "Index"}),
    Lookup = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Group", "Date"},LookupTable,{"Group", "Date"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    ExpandedIndex = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Lookup, "NewColumn", {"Index"}, {"Index"})
in
    ExpandedIndex

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi ImkeF,

Your solution works great! You are so smart! Thank you!

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi ImkeF,

There is no video there.  Can you please check.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Ashish_Mathur, I've checked & can see the video.

Pls try a different browser.

If that fails as well, pls post screenshot as a bug-report here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi,

I've tried both Edge and Internet Explorer and the problem persists.  I will try it in some other browser as well.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors