Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidB
Frequent Visitor

Custom base values in highlight function

Hello

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I have a hard time finding an answer or relevant topic to search for.

In short, I want to be able to have the highlight function of the column/bar/funnel chart, to have a different base value to compare with instead of the total of the dataset.

I have a customer database consisting of 1.500.000 rows of customers, with about ~450.000 active customers. There is all sorts of demographic information, segments etc.

Example:
Let's say I make a dashboard of aquired customers 2017. I make slicers so the users can select dates/months, customer types etc.

If I then make a funnel chart of an age group segmentation in percentage of total, it will then highlight the total of 2017 behind when selecting a specific month(s).
This is a feature which I see great potential in, for finding anomolies at a glance that can be deep dived further into.

What I want, is to be able to chose the data that the bar/pie/funnel highlights behind - not the total data of the dataset. I want this, because I want to be able to compare it with my current active customers or any other base I might see fit to compare it with.

If anyone have any examples of a better way to implement this comparison in Power BI - then I am all ears and welcome suggestions 🙂

Best regards

David

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DavidB,

What I want, is to be able to chose the data that the bar/pie/funnel highlights behind - not the total data of the dataset. I want this, because I want to be able to compare it with my current active customers or any other base I might see fit to compare it with.

I'm not sure I can understand your requirement totally. Could you be more precisely with it by posting some sample data and screenshots? So that we can better assist on this issue. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hello @v-ljerr-msft

Thank you very much for replying.

So you know when you make a simple funnel chart, you can go in to: Visual tools > Format > Edit interactions.

After that, you can select to "Highlight" on how the chart acts when slicing/selecting data in the report.

highlight.PNG

Then in the background of the funnel, the original total will be a bit transparent and the sliced/selected data will be the new funnel.

1.PNG

That way, it is easy to compare two totals on top of each other.

In my case, I want to be able to set/control the transparent part - i wan't the "base" to be a static amount always, that I have chosen, not the total of the dataset I'm working with.

I hope you can understand what I mean, and it probably isn't possible now that I think more of it.

But I would very much welcome any other suggestions on how to easy compare data that is sliced/selected with a static amount I set beforehand. 

DavidB
Frequent Visitor

No dice? 🙂

If my "problem" can't be solved - can anyone recommend a nice way to show my customer base numbers compared to fixed population numbers?

DavidB
Frequent Visitor

No one at all, that can give me an example of how they show their base compared to a population? 🙂
I would really like to make some good looking stuff, but I'm out of ideas of this one, if my original problem can't be solved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.