Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIGuyL3
Frequent Visitor

Custom and Preset Date Ranges for Comparison Measures

Hello everyone!  This community has been of wonderful help.  I've been stuck on some date stuff and can't seem to get past it.

There are three measures I am looking to have: Current period sum, Previous period (Same length date range immediately preceding current period) sum, and Same Period Last year sum

The idea is that you would see the current sum with a % change for the previous period and Same Period Last Year next to it.  I set this up by creating this measure in order to get the summation of a different date range

_Prior Clicks sa360 = (
VAR difference = MAX('sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[date]) - MIN('sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[date])
VAR _END = Min('sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[date]) - 1
VAR _Start = _END - difference
return
CALCULATE(Sum('sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[clicks]),'sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[date] >= _Start && 'sa360 Fact_Metrics_DateCampaignDevice'[date] <= _END))

When using one date slicer, all of this works fine.  The problem is that I am trying to add in preset dates along with the custom date slider.  I followed this link https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/custom-range-date-slicer-power-bi-dynamic-defaults-more-a%C5%9F%C4%B1... to create this.

Everything in this link is the same as my model.  When using the custom slicer option, everything again works fine.  When I switch to a preset date, only the current period is calculated while everything else is "Blank" or doesn't show.  I created measures to capture the date range of the previous period to see if something was off, but it properly reflects what the date range should be.

What am I missing?  Is there a much easier way to compare different dates of the same measure?  A different way to do preset dates with option for custom?  The logic seems to be breaking in an unknown spot.  Appreciate any help I can get!

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBIGuyL3,

Can you please share some dummy data that keeps the original data structure with expected results? It should help us clarify your scenario and test to coding formula.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Here are my main metrics.  The idea is to see clicks based on current date range, clicks from the prior date range (same length time period immediately preceding current range), and a YoY using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR.  To get the comparison date range, I am taking the difference between Max and Min of the Current Date Range and subtracting it from those dates (if Current Range is 8/10 - 8/16, Comparison Range is 8/3-8/9).  When the left date slicer (Custom Date) is being used, all the metrics work fine.  When I switch to any of the preset date ranges, all my prior and YoY values go blank.  I believe that the problem is that the dates to calculate are not being picked up.  The bottom left date range in the graphic uses the same formula to calculate the date as the measures do, and it is able to accurately show the date range.  Can't figure out why the prior and yoy measures won't show. Screenshot (20).pngScreenshot (18).png

HI @PBIGuyL3,

AFAIK, infinity error should be caused by dividing a non-zero or non-null value by zero or null in DAX expression.
It means your formula has been filtered wrong ranges and the expressions try to divide with invalid values. Please check your period filter to confirm they can get correct results first.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR etc, and letting your report users change the date filters in the filter pane instead of via slicers?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.